Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2019, 14:00   #46

Boat: Millkraft 54 (16.48m)
Send a message via Skype™ to mstr_cmdr
Re: Placing tracks for a staysail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
I'm doing some similar planning, but have decided against tracks. Instead, low-friction rings with dyneema strops would be a better plan. As long as you have two strops on each ring, one leading inboard (say near the centreline) and one outboard (either edge of the coachroof or further out from the toerail) you will be able to pull the ring wherever you need it, and adjust the sheet lead to get the best shape. Best of all you don't need to go to all the trouble of attaching tracks and blocks, nor worry about where they are, when you stub your toes on them, and you have better control of the sheet.
A sound solution - I have already completed the removal of the genoa and jib tracks, and replaced them with pad-eyes and "friction" rings. (pix is attached).
I have also attached a "tweeter/barber-haul" onto the genoa sheet for the times when the genoa is reefed using the furler which causes the foot and clew to move upwards and forwards, respectively. By using the haul, I have found the I can retain the shape and set of the sail.
The method of determining the positioning pad-eyes is in a subsequent post. I agree that a more forward-than-optimum position for mounting the pad-eyes is preferred.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0200.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	441.0 KB
ID:	200435  
mstr_cmdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 21:17   #47

I only use the staysail upwind on my Swanson 42 so would concentrate on close sheeting angles. I currently have a staysail on a boom(decksweeper) and looking to convert to a furler.
shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 23:24   #48

Boat: Millkraft 54 (16.48m)
Send a message via Skype™ to mstr_cmdr

I have attached a picture of my furling stay-sail.
Basically (if there is such a thing) is that the stay-sail's luff is stitched over (but not onto) an anti-torque inner stay, which has a detachable continuous furling drum at the tack, and a swivel at the head; both are Facnor.
The stay-sail can be stowed (with a detachable stay in its place); hoisted as a stay-sail and furled in; or, furled out. There is no provision for the stay-sail to be "furled" mid-way (it's either fully in or fully out).
The sheets run through the jib friction rings to the forward cockpit primary winches.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0204.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	424.4 KB
ID:	203373  
mstr_cmdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2019, 04:05   #49

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Placing tracks for a staysail

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadows View Post
I only use the staysail upwind on my Swanson 42 so would concentrate on close sheeting angles. I currently have a staysail on a boom(decksweeper) and looking to convert to a furler.

I had my sails designed and made by SVTotem here on CF and he cut the staysail nice and deep to fill the gap below the yankee. The two sails work brilliantly together in anything from pointing to deep reaching.

So whatever I come up with I will really want it to work equally well through all those angles of sailing.

But seriously, get rid of that club footed staysail boom as soon as possible. (As you are planning to do). One of the greatest assets of the Swanson 42 is that massive uncluttered foredeck, keep it nice and clear. I’ve even configured my staysail on the furler so I can stow them to one side when at anchor.

Here she is with the wind on the beam.

Name:	IMG_1079.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	203380

Tags
sail