Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2010, 19:41   #1

Boat: Building 30' Dory
Plan 'A' Cabin

I thought I would reach out to you all to get some ideas concerning cabin layouts. I am trying to finalize my building plans for my 30' Motorized Dory and I am ready to rip my hair out. So I thought I would see what you all would do, and I figured it would be alot of fun as well.

I have attached a Jpg picture of the cabin area that you can use to layout the cabin if it was yours. You can put what ever you want in the cabin layout, I just ask that it be something you would want in your cabin and that we be somewhat realistic. By all means have some fun with this and dream as big or as small as you want as long as it fits inside the provided space. Once your done post you layout so we all can see. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cabin Plan.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	445.0 KB
ID:	18599  
Messman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 14:35   #2

I guess no one is going to bite this hook .

"All things are possible, once you overcome your fears."
Old 25-08-2010, 15:00   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Maybe you need to bait this task with some criteria. Is this a singles, a doubles couple, children, guest, guests, head required, only berths in the boat? I think that has to been some purpose stated for the function of the cabin. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 15:47   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Designing in 7 dimensions...

The Cape Dory 30 looks to have an active owners group, moulds look to still exist and much information is available on the web. Many talented persons have looked at improving this boat. The easiest way would be to do what others have done before you.

Additionally it is an older design, of narrow beam and stern. While this give nice lines it restricts the amount of interior space.

If you must design your own interior I'd suggest the following:-

The trouble with designing a yacht interior is that it all occurs in 7 dimensional space. [x, y, z, time, velocity, acceleration, volts]. Yes, I know it comes to way more than 7 but I'm trying to keep this simple.

My suggestions:-
1) Have a look at similar boats to your proposed and see if you like their layouts.
2) Build a model, possibly of balsa. A scale of 20:1 may suit.

How your interior evolves is also a function of the building material. [Another dimension?]

I'd suggest having a look at a few Van de Stadt designs, as they have provided the most complete interior plans of any naval architect that I have encountered.

Their Dolphin 26 and Vita 30 come to mind.

You should be able to see that they have packed an enormous amount into a small boat, and possibly that maximizing interior use has been a dominant force in small yacht design.

I built their Mini in a year and found their plans detailed and easy to follow, producing a most excellent boat, beautiful to sail.

If you can tear yourself away from tradition I suggest that one of their designs would be easier to build and more enjoyable to own and use than a Cape Dory 30.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 17:18   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Maybe you need to bait this task with some criteria. Is this a singles, a doubles couple, children, guest, guests, head required, only berths in the boat? I think that has to been some purpose stated for the function of the cabin. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
I was trying to allow folks to have some fun with it so they could do what they wanted without being tied down to what I want. But I do see your point as an approach to this.

So The things I want are as follows:
Double forward V berth
Small/very basic galley
Head
Place to eat for 4 which converts to a berth for 2 if possible
helm

I know this is alot to smash into such a small space, so call me a seaweed head it's alright

Old 25-08-2010, 17:37   #6

Boracay,

First let me thank you for the great input

My Dory is actually based off of the Pacific Power Dory. I guess I should have included that in my original post, sorry about that What can I say I can be a seaweed head sometimes

Because of the multi dimensions you mention and because I really dont want the norm in my cabin design is the reason I am and is the reason for the post asking individuals to do what they would do if they could. I have seen several "traditional" layouts that just fall short / feel wrong to me and I just can't seem to put my finger on what it is. Since I am building her from the ground up I want to make sure I love her and don't regret anything I do.

I may go the model route, don't know why I didn't think of that.

Old 25-08-2010, 17:45   #7

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
How much vertical are we allowed.....ie, do you have an inboard engine that will allow for a sunken v-berth/galley or is the whole thing essentially one level with outboards on the back?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 17:51   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
How much vertical are we allowed.....ie, do you have an inboard engine that will allow for a sunken v-berth/galley or is the whole thing essentially one level with outboards on the back?
She will be pushed by outboards. and the cabin sole drops 12" from the exterior decking.

The drawing or "Blank" I provided is only of the cabin area. Each square = 6". The 1' walk around deck (outer deck on drawing) is available space in the cabin. The rise from cabin deck to the walk around deck is:

F1 = 2'3"
F2, F3, F4 = 2'4"
F5 = 2'6"
F6 = 2'8"
F7 = 2'10"
F8 = 2'11"
F9 = 3'
F10 = 3"

Hope you understand what I mean by that.

The cabin height will be 6' 4" sole to roof support (I will be able to play with that a little but not a whole lot).

If additional information is required please let me know I will provide it.

Old 25-08-2010, 18:24   #9
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messman View Post
Double forward V berth
Small/very basic galley
Head
Place to eat for 4 which converts to a berth for 2 if possible
helm

I know this is alot to smash into such a small space, so call me a seaweed head it's alright
Okay, seaweed head, how long should these berths be? Are you short, by any chance?
Old 25-08-2010, 18:27   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Okay, seaweed head, how long should these berths be? Are you short, by any chance?

mmmm my seaweed grows to about 6'1" so the main berth needs to fit me.

I think I need to change my signature line

Old 27-08-2010, 22:26   #11

Ok I have been playing around with this myself some more and came up with this. The different colors represent where that item will be located The checkered pattern of blue and representive color represents that the are goes under the walk around deck. Let me know what you think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cabin Plana.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	438.8 KB
ID:	18722  

Old 28-08-2010, 04:55   #12
PAR

Boat: 1960 Chris Craft, 1957 Clyde, 1961 Atkins, 1986 Macgregor 65, plus three of my own design and build
Send a message via Skype™ to PAR
Your problem with interior accomidations and personal desires is an inability to visualize the space you're working with. This isn't unusual as most novices will have great difficulty picturing things in 3D.

Go buy some heavy weight corrugated cardboard, like the kind they use on the side of refrigerator when shipped new. Chip board , cheap door skin plywood, foam or other fairly stiff, enexspensive sheet material may also do.

Use this stuff to cut up full size furniture and duct tape it together and into the boat. It provides a easily understandable visual reference, so proper scale issues will not be a problem (like they are in the drawing above) and if they are cut well and carefully, they could help with templates for the actual materials used in the boat.
PAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2010, 02:36   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAR View Post
Your problem with interior accomidations and personal desires is an inability to visualize the space you're working with. This isn't unusual as most novices will have great difficulty picturing things in 3D.

Go buy some heavy weight corrugated cardboard, like the kind they use on the side of refrigerator when shipped new. Chip board , cheap door skin plywood, foam or other fairly stiff, enexspensive sheet material may also do.

Use this stuff to cut up full size furniture and duct tape it together and into the boat. It provides a easily understandable visual reference, so proper scale issues will not be a problem (like they are in the drawing above) and if they are cut well and carefully, they could help with templates for the actual materials used in the boat.
Excellent advice.
I do mock-up and or models for lots of stuff.
You'll be surprised what you'll learn out of the exersize...things you didn't consider become issues.
If you do a model...try and work it as accurately as you can...it will pay dividends.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2010, 14:23   #14

Thanks guys, I plan on doing the cardboard mocks, right after I get her decks temp. in place

Old 29-08-2010, 14:46   #15

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
--- and paint it the colors on your graph-paper. A "pad" right out of the 60's--without the LSD. (Sorry-too many Jose's)