Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2020, 00:23   #1

Please help me with Hydraulic steering issue

Ok so it’s a long intro to the problem so bear with me please...
We have a 1975 Cavalier 39. When we got her 4 years ago she had wheel steering with a chain setup that drove a hydraulic pump that worked a steering ram. Everything worked and felt good and we had a back up Airies that could be hooked to the wheel.
Around 2 years ago we decided to fit an auto pilot ahead of a 4 day passage and, during the install we followed the advice of the installer and converted 5he hydraulics to a pump at the wheel direct to the ram... and so began our problems
Auto pilot worked well but...
1. They installed a hydraulic pump that was too small and resulted in 7 and a half turns lock to lock.... (4 one way,3.5 the other) we’ve persevered with this but its time to admit it’s not ideal and we’ll install a bigger one.
2. With the original set-up we didn’t really notice that the unbalanced ram created more turns one way than the other ( maybe it did but with fewer wheel turns of 4 lock to lock we didn’t notice... and it always came back to centre at the same point)
3. The airies is now useless because the wheel doesn’t centre and the increased turns to port would mean it would slowly unwind and adjust too far one way.
4. The hydraulic steering results in no feel at the wheel... with the old set-up even while it was hydraulic, we had good feel.

So... what to do? How much of my troubles will be fixed simply by installing a bigger pump at the wheel?
I know a balanced ram will fix things too but we’re suffering from reduced $$$ at present so want to consider other options if they exist.
nzmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 00:53   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Please help me with Hydraulic steering issue

I wonder if this link is a help?

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ns-212935.html

I'm sorry I can't help. There are quite a few videos on the subject

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...opilot+on+boat
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 01:09   #3

Re: Please help me with Hydraulic steering issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
I wonder if this link is a help?

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ns-212935.html

I'm sorry I can't help. There are quite a few videos on the subject (This is a highly rated one)

Thanks Coop... yes that added a lot of perspective. Seems like 3.5 turns is the norm and will create more resistance at the wheel and return some “feel”
I’ll buy some time from a good hydraulics engineer to work out a solution.
nzmal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulic steering, lease, steering