Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2017, 21:08   #16

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: PLID (penetrant, lubricant, inhibitor, dielectric)

These testimonials certainly make it worth giving a try! I found out about Kano Aero Kroil (a penetrating oil) shortly after I bought my boat and have completely sold people on it -- even in the local mattress shop to unstick zippers -- after they've tried everything else.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 23:00   #17
Marine Service Provider

Thanks for the questions, I will do my best to answer..

The solution is attracted to metal through polar bonding, it will adhere to all metals and most surfaces. The bond can be broken with a high PH soap and the solution will be removed.

Dirt attraction, I can only speak from observations.

1. We have been testing the products with one of the largest Giant bike dealers in the Country. The have access to all kinds of lubricants for their bike chains . The feed back is that is the best lubricant they have ever used for wheel hubs and bike chains as it does not attract dirt. Mountain bikers are constantly cleaning their chains, they are now coming back clean. They want us to re-bottle the formula in a bike lube bottle.

2. We have a large piece of sheet metal covered with PLID in a shop while a car is being restored. There is body sanding and painting causing dust all over the shop, the metal sheet is dust free.

Contact Cleaner, yes it is a great contact cleaner although we do not promote it for this purpose.

Drill Test

Both drills ran after being placed in the ocean, in fact both drills ran submerged in a bucket of water.

The rusty drill no longer spins, you can hear the motor trying to run but the gears are too corroded. I am sure I could get it running with a spray of PLID or any lubricant.

I think your idea of a good fresh water bath and dry air is a good one, I will give it a try.

Biggest Difference

The one thing that makes our product special would be the length of time it will last. Here is a picture of Terry, the previous owner in a ship hold he applied the product to over 20 years ago and it is still wet and working.

Click image for larger version

Name:	terry.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	147995

Any company that sells rust and corrosion protection can make a product that last for years but they don't for very good reasons. 20 plus years is too long of a product cycle for a consumable product.

We had a large company that applies rust proofing for vehicles try out our product. They flat out told us they would go broke selling this, their business is applying rust protection to the same car every year, not once and never seeing them again! He applied it to his own truck and loved it, not for his customers though...

No product is perfect. S2S is a wet film and will always be wet. Not good for traffic areas, it won't stay on spinning objects like a prop, it is not good for the exterior of your car body or boat body. You can't paint over it but you can apply over paint if you needed to.

Hope this helps...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	009 - Spray Coating.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	147994  
EH2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 04:20   #18
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

^^
Thanks for the answers, the polar bonding makes better sense now.

As for the dirt attraction, it is hard to argue with observations and experience

If you ever do the drill test with water, be sure to let us know how it works out.

Once again, thanks for the responses
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 05:17   #19

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Would it be okay to use on the electric brakes of my boat trailer? I.e. on the springs and actuator arm and other internal parts, but obviously not the shoes or drum.

I dunk my trailer in salt water several times a year. Usually I precoat my brake parts with Boeshield T-9. But even that allows rust after a while, and I need to install new brakes every 3 or 4 years.

(I should go over to all-stainless disc brakes but never seem to have the funds for that conversion.)
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 16:39   #20
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
Would it be okay to use on the electric brakes of my boat trailer? I.e. on the springs and actuator arm and other internal parts, but obviously not the shoes or drum.

I dunk my trailer in salt water several times a year. Usually I precoat my brake parts with Boeshield T-9. But even that allows rust after a while, and I need to install new brakes every 3 or 4 years.

(I should go over to all-stainless disc brakes but never seem to have the funds for that conversion.)
Yes I would suggest using both the PLID and the Industrial together.

First spray the PLID in all the cracks and welds as it is a penetrant, then apply the thicker longer lasting Industrial.

Unfortunately the industrial version is not yet available in a spray form, it is currently only available in bulk or 150 ml bottle with a brush.

After 3 months in the lab we have got the spray to come out of a can in a paint like pattern. We will be launching the industrial spray in a Kickstarter this summer.
Old 18-05-2017, 17:21   #21
Marine Service Provider

Company story...

30 years ago the original owner Terry was an applicator, he made his living applying corrosion protection in ships and barges, very harsh enviroments.

At the time Terry was using well known name brand industrial products and was getting very frustrated due to the number of call backs from product failure.

Terry was at a corrosion convention at was describing his problems to a stranger next to him. The stranger turned out to be a frustrated chemist who created a corrosion formula that was longer lasting than anything on the market and none of the manufactures were interested in his formula. There was no apitite for long lasting protection among the manufactures. (Too long of a turn cycle)

Terry agreed to give it a try and very quickly saw it was the best product he had ever worked with. After a few years Terry purchased the formula from the chemist and used it for his own application services.

Over the years word of mouth got out that his product was the best and Terry was ask to make some extra product to sell on the side.

Terry never actively or properly ran the product side of the business, it was always a sideline, he was a one man show. There were a lot of loyal, patient customer who had no problem waiting for Terry to call them back a week later to fill their product orders as Terry was busy with his application side of the business.

This December in his 80's, Terry very reluctantly decided it was time to sell the business. I met Terry and he told about his product he was so attached to, it was his baby that he never let grow beyond himself.

He gave me (reluctantly) his hand written ledger to call his clients to see what they thought of the product. Some of the names were impressive, Seaspan, the Coast Guard, the Navy, the Department of National Defence, USA Park Services (the only corrosion product allowed in US parks). I took the ledger and started to visit some of the 500 plus names in the book.

I told them I was going to use the product on my boat and asked how they liked it. I honestly expected most of them to not even remember the name or when they had last used it.

To my amazement, every single person I called or visited went on to tell me how this was the best corrosion protection they had ever used and they couldn't understand why it wasn't being sold every where.

There were stories of failed alternators that came back to life with a spray of PLID, sunken boats with S2S on the electronics that fired up upon recovery.
A coast guard captain went on for 45 minutes telling me how this one can had replaced all other products on their boat, "it is the best cleaner, lubricant, penetrant dielectric and it is all in one can, we won't leave the shore without a case".

After randomly contacting over 30 customers I happily purchased Ship 2 Shore from Terry, I feel very lucky to have met him and take his Legacy to a new level.

We now actively answer the phone, have a distributor who will ship the products out the very next day. We are having a Kickstarter for the Industrial spray this summer and hope to have both the PLID and Industrial in some chain retail outlets across the country by year end.
Old 20-05-2017, 13:45   #22

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Cool story about your company origins!

Speaking as someone who is more comfortable buying with the click of a mouse rather than picking up a phone. . . . I think you would increase your sales significantly if you had easy online ordering through your site. That, plus make it available through Amazon (which is pretty easy for 3rd-party sellers). And sell it through a few of the biggest marine suppliers: Defender, Fisheries Supply, West Marine. So far the only online vendor I found is Stratchcon.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 14:27   #23
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
Cool story about your company origins!

Speaking as someone who is more comfortable buying with the click of a mouse rather than picking up a phone. . . . I think you would increase your sales significantly if you had easy online ordering through your site. That, plus make it available through Amazon (which is pretty easy for 3rd-party sellers). And sell it through a few of the biggest marine suppliers: Defender, Fisheries Supply, West Marine. So far the only online vendor I found is Stratchcon.
After we get the Industrial in a spray and launch our Kickstarter, we will have a shopping cart on the site and sell the spray on Amazon. Thanks for the list of Marine Dealers, we will pursue these as possible vendors. I appreciate and take all input from this forum it is important to the success of the company.
Old 10-12-2020, 20:54   #24
Marine Service Provider

We infused the PLID Thin Film into a convenient wipe. Perfect to keep on your boat for all of your corrosion problems. The 10 pack is $12.99 but until we are now selling them for $6.99 for the next week if we don't run out of supply.

Here is the link to Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KSYDCM6?ref=myi_title_dp
Old 11-12-2020, 01:11   #25
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

Do you sell the spray on Amazon?
Also do you ship internationl?

Thanks
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 04:40   #26

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EH2017 View Post
Its curious - a Canadian company not selling on Amazon.ca. Or did i miss something?
jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 10:39   #27
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post
Its curious - a Canadian company not selling on Amazon.ca. Or did i miss something?
jon
If your in Halifax just give these guys a call, they have everything in stock..

Pinnacle Agencies LTD

Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

70 Wright Ave

Dartmouth, NS

B3B-1H3

902-468-6689
Old 11-12-2020, 11:16   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

EH2017, The OP talks about cleaning electrical contacts before reassembly because PLID is a dielectric. Is this really necessary? I often put dielectric grease on contacts with no problem. My theory is that metal to metal contact displaces the dielectric grease.
Old 11-12-2020, 11:45   #29
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
EH2017, The OP talks about cleaning electrical contacts before reassembly because PLID is a dielectric. Is this really necessary? I often put dielectric grease on contacts with no problem. My theory is that metal to metal contact displaces the dielectric grease.
I have sprayed circuit boards, wires, motors and connectors with no issues ever. I have never wiped contacts after.

I just had this come in from a farmer in Australia..

We are a family farm business involved in beef production in South Gippsland Victoria Australia. The operation requires numerous types of equipment particularly during livestock handling that are subjected to some harsh corrosive conditions most of the time. The failure of one of our livestock identification scanning devices due to a compromised electronic circuit board from leaking corrosive battery fluid is yet another example. This would ordinarily mean the disposal of an expensive device due to inbuilt obsolescence. With access to the circuit board and only one small application to the problematic area with S2S PLID Thin Film it was possible to restore full operating capabilities for all functions of the scanner. We will continue to use S2S products for all the corrosion preventative and recovery maintenance on all our farm equipment and machinery.

Malcolm Campkin Smith Leongatha, Victoria
Old 11-12-2020, 11:50   #30
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sos View Post
Do you sell the spray on Amazon?
Also do you ship internationl?

Thanks
Amazon is giving us a bit of a challenge with the dangerous goods aspects of the spray cans. We are working through this with them.
We ship cases of cans internationally, not individual cans.
We do have some distributors in other countries, where are you located?

Tags
electric