Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2020, 12:38   #31
Marine Service Provider

Re: PLID (penetrant, lubricant, inhibitor, dielectric)

The wipes have the PLID Thin film in them and work exactly the same as the spray on electronics, you can wipe circuit boards with the wipes and it leaves a nice even coating.

EH2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 21:42   #32

Boat: Gulf 32-Aeolus

The product sounds good and yet I'm a bit surprised no one has mentioned a comparison test or ACF 50. There are other products that do a great job of this sort of thing, but perhaps there is something I am missing. For corrosion and protection, durable and lasting, ACF 50 is great stuff and is heavily used by motorcycle folks who live in the rainy latitudes. I think the main take away is do something to protect your items!
bwindrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2020, 01:05   #33
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EH2017 View Post
Amazon is giving us a bit of a challenge with the dangerous goods aspects of the spray cans. We are working through this with them.
We ship cases of cans internationally, not individual cans.
We do have some distributors in other countries, where are you located?

Located in the UK.
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2021, 14:37   #34
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by organic snowman View Post
Hi all,

I spent a number of years working as a communications tech. One day I got a call from one of the logging companies we dealt with. One of their tugboats had sunk at the point where the tide changed. It had been below the surface when the tide was high and was now partially out of the water at low tide. They had the marine VHF and 2-meter radio removed and sitting on the dock. I told him to put both in a bucket of fresh water and bring them to me.

When the foreman walked in with the bucket of water there were a couple of customers in the store who looked inside and laughed. Telling me I was crazy and to throw the radios in the bin. I made a bet with one of them for 20 bucks that I could get one, if not both radios back up and running perfectly.
The 2-meter was a Motorola worth 1200 bucks, so it was certainly worth a try for the logging company.

I took both radios apart, removing every piece I could and laying them out on a workbench. Then I took a can of PLID and completely covered each part.

Then I left them alone for three days. In the afternoon of the third day I wiped all the excess off, making sure any pins and connections were clean as its a dielectric. Then proceeded to reassemble both radios.

Both radios powered up and worked perfectly when connected to my monitor. The Motorola had 49 watts on transmit. Not bad for a radio rated at 50 watts that had been in salt water for 12 hours. The VHF was around 20 watts on transmit, it was rated at 25 watts, but they are always a little high on quoted ratings in my experience.

Both were taken and reinstalled on the tugboat and used for years afterwards.

I collected my 20 bucks and the logging company were very happy customers.

One thing to remember when using this is that it is a dielectric and any connections you put it on will stop being connections. We had a guy who put it on a bunch of electrical connections on his backhoe. It stopped working until he cleaned it off.

I have no connection to the company that makes it, just wanted to share this because it really does work and might save someone a bunch of money or even their lives. Here is the link to their site.

Ship-2-Shore | Dielectric Anti Corrosion, Rust and Electrolysis Preventative Lubricant Fluid Film
S2S is having a can sale of the PLID, 3 for $33 US only.
https://ship-2-shore.com/products/plid-thin-film/
EH2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric