Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2016, 05:58   #1

Boat: Pearson 28
Polish and wax

I have a 1975 Pearson 28 and she needs a little TLC. Minor to moderate chalking in areas like the cockpit. I am new to fiberglass care so I want to do it right. Since I'm new I know to get an variable orbital polisher But need to know the best process. I know I need to use some compound first. Should I apply this by hand? Or with the polisher? Than I don't know. Do I polish it or wax it? (Yea, I told you I was new to this) And any suggestions on a brand of compound and Polish and/or Wax would be appreciated.

Just an aside.. Thanks to all the comments on my fresh water system problems. It is up and running great.
windcree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 06:29   #2

Boat: Sabre 38
Re: Polish and wax

You simply won't get a better explanation than the link below, written by Maine Sail, who is a professional in this area among many others.

Be ready for a weekend of hard work. I followed his directions and my 38' came out beautiful, after three (or was it four?) days of shoulder workouts.

Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax - SailNet Community

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 06:37   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

On small boats, I go like this:

- wash vigorously (sponge) with soap and fresh water,
- wash again, as above, then let dry,
- apply carnuba car grade (buy one without polishing compound, just wax),
- applying: a thin layer, a clean rug, spread well, change the rug when dirty,
- wipe off excess/powder when dry,
- repeat, less wax this time,
- buff.

Similar results with Starbite and 3M liquid wax, less work and lasts less too.

Do NOT apply wax on hot topsides (sun). To much work.

Normally this gives me a super duper gloss over gelcoat and decent look over paint.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 07:11   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Wonderful thing about Gelcoat is the new shine can be restored if there is enough Gelcoat.
But, be aware that once you go down this road, you need to keep up with it, reason is Gelcoat is porous and you "open up" the Gelcoat when you polish or sand it, and if you don't keep it filled with wax, it will attract dirt and will eventually look worse than if you had done nothing at all.
It is a tremendous amount of work, but with sweat equity you can make it look like a new boat again.
I bought a Makita, this one https://www.amazon.com/Makita-9237CX...akita+polisher

Look for a quality made, light weight polisher that will soft start, that is start slow and build up to the set speed, and of course it must be variable speed, or you will damage the boat.

Lightweight cannot be over stressed, this thing, even a light weight one will weigh a ton before your half done
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 10:46   #5

Boat: Pearson 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingeggs View Post
You simply won't get a better explanation than the link below, written by Maine Sail, who is a professional in this area among many others.

Be ready for a weekend of hard work. I followed his directions and my 38' came out beautiful, after three (or was it four?) days of shoulder workouts.

Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax - SailNet Community

It looks really good. I'll follow it as well.

Thanks much to everyone.
windcree is offline   Reply With Quote