Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2020, 16:23   #1

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore
Pondering Paint

My 1979-built fiberglass Bruce Roberts Offshore 44 as far as I can tell has never felt the touch of brush or roller since it was splashed. Hasn't even had the name painted on the stern, something I intend to remedy next week. But first, before painting the name and port of registry, I want to brighten the white up a bit, and do it cheaply. Since retiring, I no longer have loose odds and ends of commercial grade marine paint available to me, or I would just roll on a good two part epoxy, let it cure, and then do my lettering in black. Now I am looking at this paint you can't put on top of that one, that one is a primer coat but not a top coat, this one needs this or that added to it, this one doesn't roll on well, that one doesn't brush on well, and they all cost too damn much. Just doing the stern for now. Sides later. Also I want to paint the vee berth cabin and make it a bit more habitable looking.

I am thinking a couple quarts of this stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-20...798588&sr=8-24

Would that be nothing but a waste of time and money? I am REALLY on a tight budget for the rest of the year, but I also really want to get the name and port painted on the stern and I may as well do the white now instead of having to cut in around the lettering later on, or repaint the lettering.
Old 15-10-2020, 16:37   #2

Re: Pondering Paint

Or maybe this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Topside-Paint...798717&sr=8-24
Old 15-10-2020, 17:10   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Nothing will last as long as properly applied Awlgrip or comparable catalized paint. But if you sand properly that enamel should stick. If it's awful on the transom in a year or so, you'll know not to do the sides. What people forget about old-fashioned enamels like Kirby's (which I'm using to paint an antique plywood tiny schooner right now), is that every few years you're supposed to scuff it up and re-coat. I don't know any good-looking wooden boat around here that wasn't recently painted--it's part of the game. For the price of the paint, it's worth it to have a shiny new coat every couple years.
Old 15-10-2020, 17:51   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Nothing will last as long as properly applied Awlgrip or comparable catalized paint. But if you sand properly that enamel should stick. If it's awful on the transom in a year or so, you'll know not to do the sides. What people forget about old-fashioned enamels like Kirby's (which I'm using to paint an antique plywood tiny schooner right now), is that every few years you're supposed to scuff it up and re-coat. I don't know any good-looking wooden boat around here that wasn't recently painted--it's part of the game. For the price of the paint, it's worth it to have a shiny new coat every couple years.

I have only ever used awlgrip on decks. You would use it on the sides and transom? Or you just mean two part paints in general?
Old 15-10-2020, 18:25   #5

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
I have only ever used awlgrip on decks. You would use it on the sides and transom? Or you just mean two part paints in general?
Awlgrip was always intended to paint sides and transoms (topsides). From their website:

“Awlgrip has developed high performance yacht coatings since 1973. Since those early days we’ve established ourselves as a global market leader in premium topsides finishing systems.”

I’ve not heard of Awlgrip used to coat decks before so you’re one ahead of me.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 20:50   #6

If it’s never had paint, you sure you don’t want to try to buff the gel coat out first before you go the slap paint on route?

My boat is a similar vintage, I was debating painting the hull, friend recommended a 3 step on the gel coat first and I am so very glad I did it, it came back REALLY well.
SalingSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 21:21   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post
Awlgrip was always intended to paint sides and transoms (topsides). From their website

I’ve not heard of Awlgrip used to coat decks before so you’re one ahead of me.

Awlgrip is great for decks, Just sprinkle on grit over wet.
It wears well, though you can’t expect it to last as long as it does on hullsides, which never get walked on!
kapnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 03:36   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
The answers above would be my own as well.

Tags
paint