Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2022, 18:59   #1

Boat: 1956 Bud McIntosh 36' schooner
Pop-up Hatch Project?

Hello everyone! I need some ideas.... It's a wacky concept but it might be fun.

First, context. The aft cabin of our little boat has a quarter berth on the port side and a flip down table. There isn't standing headroom in the aft cabin because the engine is below the interior deck. If I stand up in the aft companionway my head is still below the boom (viz. second picture).

I have a tiller autohelm with a remote dongle. All of my sails tack themselves (jib has a boom so everything passes itself). It occurs to me that I could, through some ingenious contraption (this is where you all come in...), raise the aft hatch up instead of sliding it forward and wrap it in optional isinglass. I could either stand in the opening or sit on the companionway and have a pilothouse for one!

But thesaltytar I hear you say, it's called a dodger. This has already been invented. Well yes one could go that route... Actually that's a good idea. Let's put a pin in that one.

The convertible concept can be dropped and returned to normal operation and locked, rather than having additional tubing and a lot of canvas to keep track of when I want the minimal traditionalist look.

Is it practical? Maybe not. Maybe so. Is thinking about it a fun challenge? I think so. I would like to explore the concept a bit and see if anyone has seen a pop-up hatch or has any ideas how to lift and brace such a thing.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20220617-WA0000.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	261786Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220525_115512774_HDR.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	261787Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220525_120456891_HDR.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	261788Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220525_115738577_HDR.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	261789Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220525_120421205_HDR.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	261790
thesaltytar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2022, 19:30   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Pop-up Hatch Project?

Well, I think a folding dodger is a good concept, since you brought up dodgers as well. If you will also want shade from the sun, then you're looking at a fabric-of-some-kind and clear PVC. Myself, I would go that way instead, of the pop top, because the companionway dodger needs to be sturdy in case you have a roll over, and needs to be securable from both inside and out; therefore weakening the structure is a really bad idea. Furthermore, it would look like a pimple on the stern. Of course, the protection is really nice, especially in the winter. But a dodger and thermies under your foulies helps. Ymmv,

Ann
Old 28-07-2022, 19:42   #3

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Not 100% sure I understand your question fully.

But for an interesting pop up roof google what James had on his cat called Zingaro.

I believe the F27 trimaran had a pop up roof on the cimpanionway as well.
Old 28-07-2022, 21:57   #4

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Pop-up Hatch Project?

Regular feature of good trailer-sailboats. A scissor style mechanism that has one strut of each scissor arm fixed and the other sliding with a friction mechanism or spring loaded pin lock.

They work very well in my experience. The only caveat is that they could be damaged by strong side forces when extended so take care to lower them when not in use.

That being said, I sailed many, many miles with mine raised on my Austral 20 without problems.

Edit:found a photo of one, not my boat, but same thing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1106.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	300.9 KB
ID:	261794
Old 29-07-2022, 09:53   #5

GILow, brilliant! That's exactly the type of thing I was looking for, thank you for sharing.

Any thoughts about the construction, things you found annoying or that could be beefed up?
Old 29-07-2022, 13:17   #6

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaltytar View Post
GILow, brilliant! That's exactly the type of thing I was looking for, thank you for sharing.

Any thoughts about the construction, things you found annoying or that could be beefed up?

It was a clever setup, and to be clear you could still slide the hatch forward rather than popping it up. (But not both, at least I don’t think so.)

Construction was appropriate to a 20 foot trailer sailing boat, probably not suitable to anything going to Antartica or the like, but with the hatch closed or down I had no hesitation taking that boat on the 35 mile crossing of the Gulf St Vincent.

I guess if I were building one for myself I’d just build it to a strength that seemed right for my needs.

Perhaps the only issue with it was that you needed both hands to operate it, pushing the hatch up with one hand while tightening the slides with the other. Can’t see an easy way around that. Springs maybe…
Old 29-07-2022, 14:27   #7

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

The manatee crew fainted dead away. Such a beautiful boat. Changes? Oh no Mr. Bill. You have a museum piece. Please keep it as is. It’s perfect already.
Mark and the manatee crew.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2022, 16:41   #8

Mr. Mark, your crew and fine words flatter me! Indeed I am humbled by the honor to take care of this old girl. As much as possible I wish to keep any upgrades in keeping with her telos.

And failing that... Stealthy.
Old 29-07-2022, 17:35   #9

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

OP I read it twice so I believe I understand and it’s been invented. It’s a standand looking rooller bearing with an arm from the axel of the twin bear running parallel to the track attached to yet another pin and arm coming back above the bearings. The second set of bearing has a single arm or none. Lee Valley Tools you can even add gas pistons so no dramatic slamming happens. The roller with hinge arms roll normal raise parallel or Tilt.
McGregor Boats does some sort of pop top seem VW camper van style but great idea
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2022, 20:20   #10

Boat: Catalina 42 MKII

Some Broads boats (Norfolk Broads, U.K.) have pop-tops. It is the complete cabin top but I think it could be scaled down to just the hatch. These are in very sheltered waters so some latches to hold it down would be a good idea and there is no reason it has to be symmetrical. Anyway, it might give you some ideas - start at about 3:09...
Geoff54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2022, 02:21   #11

Boat: Island Packet 40

Good idea Gilow,

I'd go for a U form alloy frame for the slider part and probably also an alloy frame for the popup part for strength and cover it with timber for appearance.

Sitting in the companionway watching the sea go by is one of my favorite spots when underway.

Tags
hatch, project