Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2008, 15:16   #1

Location: "Noosa" Australia, I am French by birth and Australian by choise.
Boat: 2 boats , a colson 21 and a bolger micro
POR 15 product

i find out the POR 15 product on a sailing mag here in OZ..
it is expensive ( near double the price of other paint here ) , but being a ( alas)perfectionist , i gave it a go...
and i offer to help my friend to Totaly redo her" horse float",
i know it is not a boat and it does not have to float ( she keep telling me !!), but she gave me this challenge and i apply my regurous ,perfectionist (dictotorship, she say ) mind...
I used the all system iscribe on brochure and internet site
from marine clean,
metal ready,
por-15,
tie-coat primer,
and their recomended top coats : hardnose/whitecote....
2 000 dollars later..
nearly lost the friendship, and lots of money and times..

i am not convinced it was better than any other 2 packs product or paint.....
anyone used that product?
it come from the States ,

thank for your help

and by the way , a boatie mate came on spray the 'bloody float"
i build a large undercover place near my garage with a huge tarpoline, the contitions where ideal , beautifull automne day , no wind , 25 degres..
we could not have choose a better day !!
BUT >>>> and he had the genious idea to lightly sand the previous coats that he had spray the day before AND to dust clean the ALL thing thoroughly with a rag WELL WET with "por-15 thiner , between overnight coats....
then start spraying again, and again, and again , 3 nice coats..and run out of a new $ 400 pot of white nose

the only time i was not there looking at him and rememding him to read the instructions that i had printed and highlight speciliquely ..., i left him "in peace "..

i went out and have a look ......well the all thing "TURN PEAR SHAPED "......
THE all Float and look like Total "crazed relief paint look"
the surface and shrink and wrinkle in few minutes like an old fifty miles of bad road ,
Now we have to sand back ALL the job !!!!!!!!!!!
after few night thinking over the "F---- up "
i suspect that the thinner penetratred the "uncured coats"...
any one with similar experienced..
anyway
i though a " new" lesson again ......

sorry i just realised i posted this to the wrong threads, should habe been the next one ....
well , his the wbmaster could deplace it ???
Old 09-04-2008, 17:58   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Don't spray it.

POR 15 has to be painted keeping a wet edge or sanded between coats. On the frame of my Landrover, started painting at the front with one color and worked my way round. As soon as I finished, started around again with a different color. After I finished the second coat, gave the paint a light dusting of car primer. Let that dry overnight and then painted a top coat of RustOleum as a UV block. It came out great and the paint is tough as nails. BTW, brushed it on. Id you had relatively large expanses of flat surfaces, would roll it on and tip with a brush. Too many nooks and crannies in the rover frame to use a roller.

Spraying POR15 is a problem because it contains isocyanates like two part polyurethanes. It eats your liver or kidneys and should only be sprayed using a hood with outside air source. Filtering masks don't do a thing to remove the isocyanates. Same goes for painting with a brush indoors.

Sorry you had problems but don't think it was wiping down with the solvent that caused it.

Aloha
Peter O.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 18:09   #3

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
POR 15 has to be painted keeping a wet edge or sanded between coats. On the frame of my Landrover, started painting at the front with one color and worked my way round. As soon as I finished, started around again with a different color. After I finished the second
Spraying POR15 is a problem because it contains isocyanates like two part polyurethanes. It eats your liver or kidneys and should only be sprayed using a hood with outside air source. Filtering masks don't do a thing to remove the isocyanates. Same goes for painting with a brush indoors.

Sorry you had problems but don't think it was wiping down with the solvent that caused it.

Aloha
Peter O.
Peter it was not the POR 15 itselft at allwe spray , no , the por 15 itself I paint by brush in the chassis of the float follow by black chassic coats, and i did this outside of course in my garden .

but we spray the WHITE HARD NOSE PAINT sell by Por 15 products as in their brochure
White Nose Paint is for the outsie of the float ( horse trailer as you said in the States )
it is a 2 part paint similair to boat paint by who take longeur to cure and who s used in engine , heavy machineries ( as writen on they brochure and as the importater told me in Sydney.
Old 09-04-2008, 18:18   #4

by the way peter
cross the Sahara desert ..years ago (84) in a long chassis land rover ( creme one )
i love them ...to expensive now in petrol in Australia
but wish i had one here to go on Frader Island
type on google.com.au "Fraser Island"
i live near Fraser Island, the bigger sans island of the world , and unesco heritage ..

i see somes old girls sometime , not well maintant here...and got to stop myself from buying them ..
i had a great time in Africa with that Land Rover, it certainly had that "special " look and feel of African Adventure
here in OZ , Toyota trooper is the thing even from the old days ..
send me some picture of your "girls"( the land rover , of course ..)
thanks

Tags
Por-15