Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2018, 15:38   #1

Boat: 1980 Southern Cross 39
Portable Drill Press

In a recent forum about the proper way to drill thru stainless steel several things were decided upon namely... Slow drill speed, plenty of pressure (the reason for this forum), lubrication( I like drilling paste as it stays where it is needed. Proper bits, tho stainless is actually softer than mild steel due to the nickel content.
So here is what I want to know. Where can you buy a portable drill press. This is by far the best way to control not only the pressure but the direction also leaving you better opportunity to keep the speed down.
I bought one of those tubular weird ones that the portable drill fits into. Not worth the postage and I bought the better one. Then in Bunnings Warehouse in New Zealand I saw my dream portable drill press. Blue and beautiful. Heavily built enough to stand up, and small enough to fit in a reasonabley small locker with the handle off. Turned out crazy as it may seem we ( the Bunnings team and I ascertained it would only fit a thirty year old electric drill. Nothing Bunnings had for sale in their Whangerie store battery, powered or electric would fit in this wonderful anachronism. PLEASE does anyone know of a portable drill press that would fit a modern Lithium Drill
philiosophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 15:50   #2

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Re: Portable Drill Press

https://www.ebay.com.au/b/Industrial...917/bn_2211285

Just one example below

Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote