Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2017, 11:10   #1

Boat: Allweather 26
Possible Great or Terrible Deck Repair

Not too long ago I bought a project boat. Among many other issues there had apparently been some deck delamination issues. The deck is plywood core fiberglass. The boat had been covered up for 6 years or so and on the deck were quite a few areas with hard lumps of hardened foam of some kind. I asked the PO about them and he proudly described that he had drilled holes just through the top fiberglass layer and injected Gorilla glue. As you probably know Gorilla glue is activated/cured by moisture and standard procedure when gluing wood is to moisten both surfaces with water before applying glue.. As the core in the delaminated areas was wet the glue cured great and foamed out of the holes. I installed a 22" x 22" skylight in the deck and a opening hatch and no where have I seen any soft spots or delamination. The entire deck seems solid.
fritzdfk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, rib