Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2014, 11:00   #31
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Possible to retrofit drop keel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneGraham View Post
Wow, thanks all for the ideas, but these cats particularly interest me, theyre small but look extremely comfortable. And most appear easily trailerable. Thank you kindly steady, I'm going to be keeping an eye out for these in my search.

Sent from my C6906 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
You are welcome!

Those CY catboats caught my eye, and that is also a nice thing about some boats when seen on the water. Many boats are designed for "looks" but in this case I think those boats look practical and comfortable too, given their limits (size, trailerable). And I admit a fondness for the gaff rig (it always catches my attention when I see one sailing).

When you visit Compac (CY) website you will see many photos, videos too. Be aware they make the catboats in various sizes and some are more open (for day sailing) while others have small 'cruising cabins" on them.

Another member mentioned the difficulty of stepping a mast each time one takes a trailer sailer out. The CY designers seem to have made this as easy as possible (and gaff rig masts are shorter).

There are also other small boats that can be trailerable that have a "pocket cruiser" styling. One I like is the Pacific Seacraft Flicka. Most of those are much more expensive than $20K (as they were expensive when new) but some older ones can be found for close to that. They are considered very roomy inside, and have been around the Pacific too. They are also 20 feet long and trailerable. High quality build. Nice to see when well cared for and they have a bunch of acclaim by reviewers and owners. I saw a red hulled one that made me wish I had one…it looked so cute.

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/111393790757190378/

Here are a few that are for sale now. Take a look (if you are not familiar with this boat).
Here is one for $19K
1982 Pacific Seacraft Flicka sailboat for sale in Maine

And one for $16K
1978 Pacific Seacraft Flicka sailboat for sale in New York
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2014, 11:20   #32

Boat: N/A At least not yet
Re: Possible to Retrofit Drop Keel?

Those are very attractive b oats, I agree, I like that red hulled flicka on pinterest. She's a beauty. I can imagine it looks great on the water. I'm worried I will grow out of a 20 footer very quickly, but it would make things world's easier I'm sure.

DuaneGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2014, 14:07   #33
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here is another trailer sailer that I admire:

Nimble Arctic (pilot house good for Canada and PNW). This used one sold for just $12K.
1992 Nimble Arctic 25 sailboat for sale in Kentucky

Here is another view so you can see how they can get into shallow areas (great for lakes).

http://www.boats4sale.pro/detail/ca/...ILOTHOUSE-YAWL

Nimble has several interesting boats that I would enjoy sailing on lakes.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2014, 16:31   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tartan 33, 33'6"
Send a message via Skype™ to Aloha_float

My two cents

If you want to trailer a boat then the limiting factor is the beam - must be equal to or less than 102" or you have to worry about transport permits every time you want to move it

A trailer sailer larger may require a lift into the water and then step the mast, adjust rigging, mount sails ....etc. money$$$$ every lift

If you have your heart set on it then you have a few options up to 24'

Sirius 22
Hunter 22
Compac
Precision
Macgregor 26
Matilda
Beneteau first 20
...one is escaping me but it's the same guy who makes knives (was featured in good old boat in the past couple of years)

I have an Aloha 8.2 and would never consider investing in the 28
Carbon fibre mast = money poorly spent - you could make a rig to help you step a mast cheaper

Personally, I think it's enough work just to get a boat ready to go when I get to the dock ... Adding all the other work seems like it would take the fun out of it

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Aloha_float is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 23:03   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha_float View Post
My two cents

If you want to trailer a boat then the limiting factor is the beam - must be equal to or less than 102" or you have to worry about transport permits every time you want to move it

A trailer sailer larger may require a lift into the water and then step the mast, adjust rigging, mount sails ....etc. money$$$$ every lift

If you have your heart set on it then you have a few options up to 24'

Sirius 22
Hunter 22
Compac
Precision
Macgregor 26
Matilda
Beneteau first 20
...one is escaping me but it's the same guy who makes knives (was featured in good old boat in the past couple of years)

I have an Aloha 8.2 and would never consider investing in the 28
Carbon fibre mast = money poorly spent - you could make a rig to help you step a mast cheaper

Personally, I think it's enough work just to get a boat ready to go when I get to the dock ... Adding all the other work seems like it would take the fun out of it

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Thanks aloha, I guess I was forgetting one important thing though, would you consider these boats possible to launch, raise and lower the mast singlehanded with a system if need be but not with a crane?

Old 16-09-2014, 05:31   #36
Marine Service Provider

If you are Hercules ...yes! Or you have set up some sort of rig to help you every time.

Some of these boats have drop keels so you can back the trailer into the launch area and get the boat into the water - again a job that really should be handled by two people.

I personally think that doing all this single handed is a crazy idea - no offense. I single handle most of the time and its enough work just getting myself launched or docked. I don't want to consider stepping a mast, setting sails, rigging etc. when I get to the dock. I just want to go sailing.

I have friends with a Macgregor and they do travel with their boat - but not often. Most of the time it sits in the marina ready to go sailing. If they are planning a week up north, they more often than not, just take the boat up and leave the mast at home and simply power boat during those weeks. It can handle shallow water when the keel is raised so they like to gunk hole.

This is not something I would want to do every weekend. Sailboats are a lot of work already so adding set-up every weekend adds 4-5 hours of work every weekend - set-up and take down.

there are a lot of great pocket cruisers that fit within the road width limits and would work for you. There was an issue of good old boat last year that featured some. Go to sail boat listings dot com and set your search for boats that fit within your specs and I bet you will find tons of deals.
Old 16-09-2014, 12:18   #37
Marine Service Provider

How ironic - this just came in my email

The Six Categories of Daysailers, and Why We Love Them | Sail Magazine

The sage 17 was the boat I couldn't recall - its worth a look
Old 16-09-2014, 18:31   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha_float View Post
How ironic - this just came in my email

The Six Categories of Daysailers, and Why We Love Them | Sail Magazine

The sage 17 was the boat I couldn't recall - its worth a look
Ahh, jackpot! Thanks Aloha, time for a good read.

Tags
keel