Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2020, 20:36   #31

Boat: Currently in between
Re: Powerwasher on fiberglass - deck & cockpit

All good info with a lot of background information. I've decided the wifey isn't going to be using the PW and I will make an easy pass once or twice a year in high traffic areas. For us the cockpit floor takes a beating and the scoops on a Leopard 42 are always under water once the water tanks in the forward holds get low.

I'll help her get those scoops clean and she will have to be more diligent with her cleaning regimen. Not being a harda--, she chose the scoops as her pet project!
Old 24-05-2020, 21:29   #32
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

It also helps to not look so closely. Does shiny actually matter, in the grand scheme of things?

Do you work for the boat, or does the boat work for you?
Old 25-05-2020, 05:52   #33

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

For the once a year "wow this got dirty over the winter" kind of cleaning, I've found a little bit of soft scrub and a good stiff brush does wonders on getting the crud out of the non-skid decks.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 09:46   #34

Boat: Lagoon 440 & Beneteau Oceanis 350

One benefit of the pressure washer is that there is no need to use a lot of cleaning chemicals, or soaps to get a bright white boat. I used my electric washer regularly no problems.
JamesPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 06:49   #35

Power washers have their place (especially for that post with the lichen all over the deck!) - but I find a Bucket of soapy water and a soft longer bristled brush (like a dustpan brush) allows you to clean all the areas between deck fittings and in corners. Make sure the bristles are soft

Another idea: Rather than expensive’Boat Soap’ I have always used automobile car wash & wax - it cleans and leaves a shiny hydrophobic anti-UV was coating just like the boat wash does! I use Turtle Wax ($7/ gallon at Walmart). It can be used in a power wash as well. It doesn’t remove the requirement for proper annual waxing, but is a great weekly wash method
rupertfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 07:03   #36

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupertfb View Post
Power washers have their place (especially for that post with the lichen all over the deck!) - but I find a Bucket of soapy water and a soft longer bristled brush (like a dustpan brush) allows you to clean all the areas between deck fittings and in corners. Make sure the bristles are soft

Another idea: Rather than expensive’Boat Soap’ I have always used automobile car wash & wax - it cleans and leaves a shiny hydrophobic anti-UV was coating just like the boat wash does! I use Turtle Wax ($7/ gallon at Walmart). It can be used in a power wash as well. It doesn’t remove the requirement for proper annual waxing, but is a great weekly wash method

FWIW - I have seen Rupert turn a dirty deck/cockpit into shining beauty. His technique and recommendation on the wash/wax vombo is spot on.
Old 29-05-2020, 08:13   #37

Boat: Lagoon 440, Sea Of Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPNW View Post
The Fiberglass strength is 30,000 PSI, typical water pressure washer is less than 3,000 PSI. Unless the pressure washer can get closed to the Fiberglass PSI strength it cannot cause any damage. IMHO
James, Sorry to say I did a lot of damage to my scoops over the course of a year. If you are relying solely on numbers for your opinion you need some OJT before you comment. No offense intended.
After all my years cleaning scoops, hanging off my ladder with a plastic scraper, very heavy duty bristle pad and a moderate green pad has worked out to be the best. I'm very lazy and I thought the power wash would do the trick. It did a lot worse.
sail4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 08:24   #38

Boat: Hunter 26

I have a 1600 psi electric pressure washer. I love it! I use it on all kinds of things. Just don't use the red nozzle and don't get to close and.... point the tip away from the boat when you first pull the trigger (the initial pulse is often very forceful). Mine has a reservoir for soap and stuff. Very nice. I like to put pinsol in mine. Seems to really help clean things up.
rgranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 11:35   #39

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

We pressure wash our trawler a couple of times per year.
Old 29-05-2020, 14:38   #40

We use a Ryobi 1700 PSI about 6 inches off the deck. Gets rid of the black mold in the non-skid. Will never use a brush again. We even do the teak about 9 inches off the deck but go across the grain not length wise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	87154B4A-ED5F-43D9-990E-D40BB70F9398.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	437.5 KB
ID:	216142  
windcastle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 21:27   #41

I got ryobi 2000psi one. Got it for $100. Use it on deck fibreglass, teak in cockpit and dodger/bimini. Canvas about 5-10 cm distance, teak and fibreglass about 1cm. No damage noticed (have been using for 6 months). I keep on the boat (juat added 15m hose/cable as the 8m that came with it was a bit of hassle
biko01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 13:51   #42

Boat: Currently in between

Now that we've had it a short bit the results are so-so, possibly because I refuse to get the nozzle close to the fiberglass. However, it did a bang up job on the dirty dinghy. I will point out I was careful to not do the seams..

Tags
cockpit, deck, fiberglass