Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2024, 08:51   #61
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23
Re: Precautions for cordless power tool batteries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzcruiser View Post
And I'm surprised you believe they would work and actually contain the energy (=heat) expunged in a short period of time.
Really? I don't use them but I know some people who insist on them for storage.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2024, 09:22   #62

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
My real problem with battery tools is not the safety aspect so much, as the durability and usability over years as technology changes.

The portable power tool market has evolved considerably in ways that would have been difficult to anticipate years ago.

I bought my first round of power tools in late 1980s and everything was corded then and bought brands that were then A-list: Porter Cable, Makita, Milwaukee. Over the course of years the cords, switches, bearings, and backing pads/plates failed. In many cases, repairs were not economical or parts were unavailable or were themselves deteriorated due to age.

Typically the prices I paid for tools in that era were, in absolute dollar terms, about the same as what I can pay for functionally equivalent battery tools today including the batteries and charger. In real terms tool prices have declined precipitously, both for power tools and hand tools. This is due to reduced retail margins and to reduced manufacturing cost.

Corded tools require periodic cord and switch replacements and an inventory of extension cords that itself requires periodic replacement; battery tools require periodic purchase of new batteries. Air tools pose the cost of the compressor and air distribution system. I think it's hard to make the case that the life cycle cost of battery tools is any higher than corded or air when all costs are considered.

What I'm seeing in the trades is that they'll still set up and use some corded power tools for big jobs at sites where power is available. e.g. carpenters will set up a table saw and chop saw and maybe a circular saw station with sawhorses. On smaller jobs they will use all battery tools because the time savings in finding power and running cords makes it worth putting up with whatever limitations that the battery tools still have. On a job site with no electricity they'll use battery tools in preference to setting up a generator in most cases.

I agree that the safety situation is a wash. Corded tools pose a trip hazard from the cords which is overall probably worse than the electric shock hazard.
Old 11-06-2024, 09:44   #63
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23

So after a quick internet search on storage for battery fire containment, It appears the cheap bags are worthless, the good bags will buy you some time and "might" avoid a fire, but only the hard shell boxes are remotely reliable. UL 5800 is the standard for fire containment bags, but I couldn't actually find any UL 5800 certified bags.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2024, 03:12   #64

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBP View Post
So after a quick internet search on storage for battery fire containment, It appears the cheap bags are worthless, the good bags will buy you some time and "might" avoid a fire, but only the hard shell boxes are remotely reliable. UL 5800 is the standard for fire containment bags, but I couldn't actually find any UL 5800 certified bags.
So I thought...

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2024, 03:59   #65

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Three years ago my Son gave me a complete set of second -hand Hitachi tools (minus the jig-saw) As he had the jig-saw he hung on to two batteries and gave me the other two.

Last Monday I checked eBay records and was surprised to find I had bought 7 batteries over the three years.

A month ago my Son gave me the jig-saw that he had been using (plus the two batteries) I now have 5 batteries including the one that was about to burst into flame. (The others were disposed at the re-cycle depot)

Then I checked the labels on the bottom of the four good batteries and surprise! surprise! they were all genuine Hitachi batteries.

What does that tell you about the crap batteries you buy on eBay? Never again! I not only risked destroying my house (or yacht) but I blew my money.

NOTE
On Monday I complained to eBay that sellers were selling "Genuine Replacement battery for Hitachi" when there was nothing "Genuine" about them.

Full marks to eBay as they have sorted out the problem! (No more use of the word "Genuine")!!!
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2024, 04:53   #66

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

One thing you can do to mitigate some risks is not storing your batteries fully charged. This is even better for them. Because Lithium batteries can be charged quickly you can just charge them right before you use them, and you often only need one battery.

Use your batteries, and then when you are finished store them without fully charging them...
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2024, 09:32   #67

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
On Monday I complained to eBay that sellers were selling "Genuine Replacement battery for Hitachi" when there was nothing "Genuine" about them.
As a heads up when buying anything if something says it is a replacement FOR it isn't original. Hitachi would never describe their batteries as a replacement for they are simply Hitachi batteries because they are used for original sale as well.

This is true of any brand anywhere.

I don't know any Hitachi model numbers but if a store says something IS a DeWalt DCB210 they are at least claiming it is a real dewalt product. Someone saying this is a REPLACEMENT FOR a DeWalt DCB210 isn't even claiming it is original they are actually being honest and hoping you don't notice that wording.

That being said I would never buy tool batteries on ebay and not from any third party on amazon. Tool batteries are one of those things which are very profitable to make knockoffs. I just don't have the time to squint at the battery package right and compare it to online photos and make sure it is the real thing. Same thing with boat cables, lugs, stainless steel clamps, etc. They are products where fake inferior ones can be made very cheap and look almost the same.
Statistical is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2024, 16:56   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statistical View Post
As a heads up when buying anything if something says it is a replacement FOR it isn't original. Hitachi would never describe their batteries as a replacement for they are simply Hitachi batteries because they are used for original sale as well.

This is true of any brand anywhere.

I don't know any Hitachi model numbers but if a store says something IS a DeWalt DCB210 they are at least claiming it is a real dewalt product. Someone saying this is a REPLACEMENT FOR a DeWalt DCB210 isn't even claiming it is original they are actually being honest and hoping you don't notice that wording.

That being said I would never buy tool batteries on ebay and not from any third party on amazon. Tool batteries are one of those things which are very profitable to make knockoffs. I just don't have the time to squint at the battery package right and compare it to online photos and make sure it is the real thing. Same thing with boat cables, lugs, stainless steel clamps, etc. They are products where fake inferior ones can be made very cheap and look almost the same.

Well let's not get too legalistic! I suggest the use of the word "genuine" is used to deceive people into thinking they are buying the real thing.

What about this? Is that a Hitachi battery?

For Hitachi EBM1830 BCL1840 BCL1850 BCL1820 7.0AH 18 Volt Li-ion HXP Battery

Old 12-06-2024, 20:25   #69

Why Buying Off-Brand Power Tool Batteries Is A Risky Choice

https://48toolsstore.com/blogs/news/...a-risky-choice

Tags
batteries, power