Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2016, 05:32   #1

Boat: Morgan 462
Preparing surface for interlux 2000e?

Greeting,
We are at the end of a Hull "peel and fair" on a 462 Morgan. The surface was first peeled down to remove the cosmetic mat then let dry for months.Our moisture numbers got down to acceptable levels and then we began the hard climb back. The hull was power washed and let dry then west system epoxy was applied by squeegee to small areas and epoxy filler applied on top while still "green". The entire boat was done piece by piece to insure chemical bond as best as possible. The hull was block sanded and random orbital sanded to 80 grit. Then a slick coat of west sys and cabasil was squeegeed in to fill pin holes.This was then sanded with 80 grit to remove the shine and give "tooth" to the surface.

So here we are 6 months later ready to paint interprotect and im wondering what to wash the surface with to make sure any contaminates of the epoxy or the "yard" in general are gone?interlux suggests for non blisted hulls to use fiberglass prep yma601v or fiberglass solvent wash 202. for blister repair it says pant after water tight fairing compound "no wipe down?". All the local input has been wash it with soap and paint. I can see the soap leaving a film, messing up the whole works.

so im turning to the big brain of the interweb in my hour of need....what shall i wash this ladies bottom with?
Linwood4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 02:55   #2
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Preparing surface for interlux 2000e?

202 with two rag technique. Don't use soap! And don't spill the 202 in the yard, it eats holes in blacktop.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:11   #3

Boat: Morgan 462

i feel the same about the soap thanks for the feed back. is there a reason you prefer the 202 to the yma601v? i haven't ever used either one so just curious?
Linwood4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:46   #4
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Prefer 202 because I've used it with great success on hundreds of hulls. Glove up! Get a good respirator too.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Interlux