Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2017, 17:25   #1

Boat: Aloha 34
Prepping exposed barrier coat spots for new bottom paint?

2.5 years ago I sanded the bottom down to gelcoat, applied 7 coats of 2000e barrier coat and 2 coats of a hard bottom paint. It's time to start thinking about adding some more paint.

Recently I let the boat go too long between wipe downs and got quite alot of barnicles, and before I perfected my technique for removing them made a couple gouges through both layears of antifoul, exposing the barrier coat. They are not very large, should I just sand and roll the new paint right over those spots just like the rest of the bottom? The bottom paint was "hot coated" originally onto a still tacky barrier coat, so I'm just wondering if the paint will stick to the cured barrier coat. There are also a few runs I missed last time, and would likely require sanding down to the barrier coat in those spots to level out. Should I do that, or should I be worried about the new paint adhering? The spots in question are less then an inch, so the small area with weaker bond will probably be ok?

Thanks for any advice!
redpointist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:59   #2

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Re: Prepping exposed barrier coat spots for new bottom paint?

If you're hauling your boat, feather the edges of your spots with 100-150 grit sandpaper, dab some Petit Tie Coat Primer over the spot and after it dries, touch it up with your bottom paint. You will not be able to see the spot if it is done properly and there will be no adhesion problems. Hope this helps. Rognvald

Tags
bottom paint, paint