Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2009, 16:21   #16

Thanks! Excellent tips.... I will try several.

Terry
Tspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2009, 17:35   #17

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
I dont know...that 8" adjustable for $434.00 is looking pretty good... Now we know why our medical bills are so freakin' high!

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 18:12   #18

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Get some drywall scraps, and remove the paper. Break the scraps into small chunks, put them in a net bag and put it in the tool bin. It will absorb moisture and can be reused by baking. It works similar to silica gel.

Sabre, 119 days n a wake up.
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 14:40   #19

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Some sailor has a tool that doesn't have rust on it? Come on, get serious! : )

I do have one bronze adjustable wrench (spanner for the Brits). It hasn't been able to rust but gets next to the others sometimes so my hands are still red.

Here in Hawaii I live 4 miles from the Pacific on the windward side with an average of 110-120 inches of rainfall a year. That means that everything rusts with vigor. So not only boat stuff but also anything made of steel has rust and anything made of aluminum has white powder and windows fog up pretty quickly. I ride rusty bikes and drive rusty vehicles, except the Saturn which is mostly plastic.

Its a way of life.

JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 16:09   #20

fluid film is simply the best long term corrosion inhibitor made.. period...

it is environmentally safe as it is basically thinned out lanolin (skin creme)..

I have grown up at the coast, and been involved with motorboats my whole life, and i swear by it. I run a landscape business and our office is on the island, as are 95% of our accounts, so our equipment is subjected to salt spray daily.... fluid film is the best product i have efer found...

the down side is that it leaves a slight film, and if you are in a dusty environment it will have soem dust stick to it.
yardpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 16:17   #21
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
don't need no stinkin' mothballs!

I drop my tools overboard so frequently they never get a chance to rust.
Old 06-08-2009, 16:21   #22
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
transcript of actual conversation...

...that took place aboard this vessel:

Wonderblond: "Why do you have two of these wrenches?"

Bash (better known as Wonderblond's Husband): "That's so I can drop one of them overboard."

Wonderblond: "Oh."
Old 06-08-2009, 19:57   #23

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Is Fluid Film something you can get in a Big Box Store or a regular automotive parts outlet?
Thanks,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 20:45   #24
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Camphor OR mothballs are supposed to do. The official USN material is para blocks and as noted "I'm not keen on mothballs, Paradichlorobenzine is a neurotoxin." That it is, you want to ventilate well before reboarding.

Or course there are also a lot of berylium-copper alloy tools on the used tool market. That's a fairly durable alloy used in the munitions business because it doesn't spark and it is harder than bronze or brass would be. The tools are usually used and then sold off before they are totally worn out. The problem there, is that berylium dust is on the list of things you never want to inhale. Same for berylium-copper alloy dust, which is why they don't resharpen cutters, etc.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 16:48   #25

Boat: 1985 CT 35' Trawler
Throw a handful of penny's in the tool box, especially older ones that where all copper.
Flatsflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 20:19   #26
DRS

Boat: Lagoon 380
Hey Bash. Get an old style umbrella with the curved handle. Open the umbrella and hang it on the side of the boat or what ever is handy so that it hangs below your work area. Anything dropped ends up in the umbrella. Can be used above or below the surface
Old 01-09-2009, 20:24   #27

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
I have seen Fluid Film at John Deere dealers (in the parts department) and in some fishing tackle stores. The big box stores here don't carry it.
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:07   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardpro View Post
fluid film is simply the best long term corrosion inhibitor made.. period...
it is environmentally safe as it is basically thinned out lanolin (skin creme)..
... the down side is that it leaves a slight film, and if you are in a dusty environment it will have soem dust stick to it.
Fluid Film is a lanolin (wool-wax) based product containing no solvents, which will not evaporate or dry from the surface. Fluid Film will leave a wet, non-drying film.

Locate Fluid Film Dealers ➥ Fluid Film® | Corrosion Preventative, Lubricant and Rust Inhibitor

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2009, 10:54   #29

Boat: Morgan 34 and Watkins 27 astern of me. Hans Christian 38T is our current love
I gotta agree with Bash. Tools on my boat not only actively seek the ocean, but it would be entertainment to watch them bounce over the umbrella on their trip. I once lost 5 of the same size allen wrench trying to tighten my wind generator to its mast.

As for coating the tools with oil, that just keeps 'em slippery so they are pretty for their trip to the deep!

As for me, I happen to love the smell of moth balls. It reminds me of home the same way chemical furniture stripper does. And I would like to try the drywall idea. It seems that if you had any excess moisture overwhelm the gypsum, it would turn into a soggy mess. I have seen this happen. But, then again, wouldn't moth balls do the same?
Aqua Vitae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2009, 15:57   #30
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Tools on my boat not only actively seek the ocean,"
A fellow who was an old marine aviation mechanic when I knew him, used to have bronze or brass tools with some kind of lanyard attached to almost every one of them.

He said something like "Son, when you've put down in some beautiful clear lagoon in the middle of nowhere and dropped your only half inch wrench in the water, you can see it quite clearly five hundred feet below you. And there's not a damned thing you can do to get it back. So if you want to get home again, you tie things on."

OK, I don't have lanyards on EVERYTHING but my #1 pliers sure has a lanyard on it. Besides, these days there's a serious MARPOL fine for dropping anything overboard, including your Allen keys.<VBG>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote