Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2020, 10:55   #1

Boat: Tashiba-31
Problem with fridge box

Did a deep clean on my fridge box today and somehow was able to get my head inside to look around - not easy and nearly got stuck! I noticed something odd - there is a 2-in hole in the upper back of the box where the cooling pipes come in. There is a loose piece of Styrofoam that is covering part of the hole.

Does this look normal to you?

I'm thinking that I need to seal this, possible with some spray foam.

Suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fridge.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	217707  
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 11:02   #2

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Problem with fridge box

Yes, a can of spray foam will close that nicely and probably improve the efficiency, however the guy who did it that way probably also cut corners on the insulation. It might be worth your while to measure the inside and outside and determine how much insulation you have (still not knowing what type of insulation). At least 4" would be minimal if you plan to spend much time on the hook trying to live off of your solar.

There is also an Ice block test (google it) which can give you a real good idea of how well it works.
Old 19-06-2020, 11:09   #3

Boat: Tashiba-31

Thanks! I plan to test the efficiency of the box soon, but I have gone 8 hours with the power off and only lost 10 degrees inside the box, so I'm thinking it's not bad. The yard did great everywhere else on the boat - I'm just thinking the guy who converted the icebox to a fridge was sloppy.
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 11:10   #4

Boat: Catalina 320

There is usually some rude attempt to seal that hole on installation, often just a gob of butyl tape or some such. A piece of foam pipe insulation or such should do the trick.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 08:47   #5

You need to seal the hole as you are losing cold down the drain.
glcalahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 10:35   #6
tml

Boat: Lafitte 44

While you have access confirm what type of insulation was used and how thick. If its original could be a poured foam. This deteriorates over time and if the boat is 20 years old the R value is near zero.
There are some lengthy and useful threads on icebox upgrades and insulation. Well worth reading if you can find them
Tom
tml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 11:05   #7

Boat: Outremer 50S

If it is a typical marine fridge install then the lines came with connectors attached, so the builder needed a hole big enough to pass the connectors. So, not unusual. Seal it up as well as you can to prevent leakage, but do remember that some day you may need to pull connectors back through it if you need to do fridge work.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote