Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2024, 05:21   #1

Boat: Cape Dory 27 - 1978
Prop spacer or new shaft?

I bought a new prop for my boat, 12x8 standard taper (like my boat is now), however, the new prop slides up past the threads before stopping. Do I need to have a machine shop fix this/build me a new one, or is there a spacer I can add to fix this? Picture attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4059.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	437.9 KB
ID:	291245   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4056.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	438.9 KB
ID:	291246  

Old 24-06-2024, 07:46   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Prop spacer or new shaft?

maybe your new prop is wrong

is the prop still in the taper of the shaft
Old 24-06-2024, 08:09   #3

Boat: Morgan 382

The taper specs include the length of the taper, start and end diameters, and the length of the threads. If it doesn't fit, either the prop or the shaft is wrong.

There are both SEA and ISO standard tapers, maybe you have one of each? You could check that yourself. But an anycase, I would probably take both the prop and the shaft to a shop to be checked.

https://www.propellerpages.com/?c=tech_info&f=tapers
Old 24-06-2024, 15:56   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor_Grant View Post
I bought a new prop for my boat, 12x8 standard taper (like my boat is now), however, the new prop slides up past the threads before stopping. Do I need to have a machine shop fix this/build me a new one, or is there a spacer I can add to fix this? Picture attached
You can easily fit a spacer between the nut and the propeller hub BUT the bigger problem is how close to the stern bearing and deadwood that makes the propeller, it looks way too close. You could get it back a little if you install a drive saver or flexible coupling (R&D) between the gearbox and the shaft coupling, that would push the shaft back about an inch.
It actually looks like the prop is still not home fully on the taper, you need to take out the key and do a bit of work with bearing blue to see what the real fit and engagement looks like.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2024, 16:51   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Somebody did not measure the taper properly when the prop was ordered. A new prop or shaft with proper taper is the only answer. Spacers are a patch job destined to fail and do other damage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3a MOTOR MOUNT.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	291280  
Old 24-06-2024, 19:40   #6

This is a bit of a dog’s breakfast. As people have said, the taper of the prop, or the shaft, or both, are wrong.

A prop and the shaft should be an exact match. On a properly installed prop, the friction between the shaft and prop should be transmitting the lion’s share of the torque, and the key really is just a safety feature. The prop and the shaft should touch EVERYWHERE. Ideally they should be lapped.

I believe I see daylight between the back of the prop and the shaft. That tells me that they are a total mismatch and will never work properly. It is time to call in a professional to get this sorted out. But based on what I see, that prop needs to be sleeved, and rebored, as a minimum.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2024, 22:36   #7

Boat: Morgan 382

Since this seems to be a new prop, have you contacted the seller/manufacturer? Maybe they will simply exchange it for the correct prop, after you take some careful measurements of the existing taper.
Old 25-06-2024, 04:47   #8

Boat: Beneteau F29

There does exist propshaft taper adapters, which would shove the prop "aft" into the proper position on the taper - assuming both your prop and propshaft are the same i.e. they are both SAE or ISO as previously mentioned. (SAE is usually 1:16 or 0.750 inch/foot, and metric shafts 1:10 for small, standard running gear like shown here)

I would consider using one as a temporary measure but probably wouldn't leave it as a permanent fix. As mentioned earlier, the included angle on a properly fitting "standard" small propshaft taper is self locking and you would lose that with a nylon bushing...

https://www.generalpropeller.com/Nyl...-Reducers/NB02
mcswain29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2024, 04:57   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

add proper rope cutter end story,
or short shaft from inside if possible
or order ne propeler
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2024, 14:08   #10

"I bought a new prop for my boat, 12x8 standard taper (like my boat is now)"

The size may be correct and the taper may be correct, but it looks like it was machined for a bigger diameter shaft than yours...
Uncle G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2024, 14:37   #11

Boat: 1966 Spencer 42'

It looks to me like the prop was cut for the wrong size shaft. Same taper but different diameter.