Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2019, 13:03   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Propane Bottle Valve Seal

I have these 10# aluminum propane bottles that are like $175/ea. The oldest has started leaking from inside the valve where the hose plugs in from that little seal. I've done a Google search and am getting a mixed answer to if these can be replaced. It doesn't sense to me that I need to replace a $175 tank over a $0.50 rubber seal.

Has anyone replaced one on their tanks? If so where did you find the seals?
Old 30-04-2019, 16:45   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Propane Bottle Valve Seal

I know the valve can be replaced, but you wouldn’t believe the length of pipe used to get the valve off.
Most propane places can change the valve, cause a few years ago they all had to be changed over to the one with overfill protective devices.
When I bought my boat my tank didn’t have the correct valve and the propane place I went to changed it out.

From what I saw it’s not a DIY thing, you need something substantial to hold the tank while the valve is removed.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 05:22   #3
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Propane Bottle Valve Seal

buying a $75 valve and having it installed because of a $0.50 seal isn't much better sounding to me

Tags
propane