Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2024, 03:13   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Propane/Butane in the UK

I haven't been in UK waters since the pandemic, but am planning a little trip to the Shetland Islands from Norway this summer.

My boat was designed for the 4.5kg Calor butane bottles, which you can neither get nor (easily) fill in Scandinavia/Germany. So I bought Kosan bottles and the regulator and use those. The only problem is that the Kosan bottle doesn't really fit my gas locker, requiring me to take the regulator off the top of the bottle to get the gas locker door closed, a PITA.

I'm like to refill my Calor bottles while I'm in the Shetlands, but did I hear that they are discontinued, and no longer filling them??!! What are UK sailors using now if that's true?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 03:46   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Propane/Butane in the UK

Rearo Supplies Ltd is your go-to cylinder stockist in Shetland, selling bottled gas in a range of sizes.
https://www.calor.co.uk/cylinder-dea...ies-Ltd-153929
https://www.rearosupplies.co.uk/

Rearo Supplies Ltd
Staney Hill Gas Depot,
Lerwick, Shetland,
ZE1 0NA
Tel: 01595 692807
Email: gas@rearo.co.uk

‘Calor’ gas retailers, in UK:
[1] ➥ https://www.calor.co.uk/gas-bottles/...rType=Cylinder

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 04:14   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Dockhead,

Reports on the MOA Forum are that supplies of Calor 4.5kg butane and identical 3.9kg propane cylinders are now becoming readily available across Great Britain. Calor have been introducing slightly taller Calor 4.5kg cylinders in Ireland and some have turned up in Western Scotland, but Calor have promised that they won't be introducing them in GB. Given the their track record for being honest, anything coming from Calor ought to be treated with a pinch of salt. Price in England £30-40 for an exchange refill. Not sure about northern Scotland or the outer islands.

Depending on your cylinders DOM or last test, (date on the aluminium plate around the cylinder neck) you will probably want to change them all to avoid problems of out of date cylinders for the next few years.

I would ring ahead and check availability, however, one alternative is to call into Scrabster on route. Huge very well protected commercial harbour and a short taxi ride to Thurso and the dealer. Orkney also an option with several suppliers.

https://www.calor.co.uk/gas-bottles/...rType=Cylinder

We are now out of the gas market less one half sized 904 Camping Gaz cylinder just in case. That's a whopping 1.8L.

Calor is now owned by a Dutch gas giant and it would seem the bean counters have come to their senses and decided giving up the huge UK market to their competitors wasn't a good business decision they took pre covid.

Have a great trip.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 13:32   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Thanks, both of you! Great info.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane