Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 08:54   #16

Given that you're going to be carrying propane for cooking anyway, and you're going to be carrying gasoline for your dinghy outboard anyway; I don't see that it matters much whether you increase the supply of one vs. the other to support your generator.

However, if "this unit would be used a few hours a night for battery topup while runnings laptops ect.", then I think it's time to consider alternatives such as solar and wind (or even a diesel marine generator). I don't suggest that solar and wind are particularly cost effective. But they work well in the Bahamas and they make it much easier and more convenient to maintain a comfortable life style especially in the out islands. It's all about freedom, independence, and comfort. And it doesn't have to be an all or nothing deal. If you supplement your charging ability with solar and/or wind, you can significantly reduce the run time on your generator.

Eg.: We intended to spend a day or two in Samana Cay, but wound up being trapped by weather for 11 days. No services, no people, no other boats. With solar, wind, and a watermaker, we were nearly self sufficient and had a blast. Fresh hot water showers every day, plenty of ice (well, you never seem to be able to make enough), caught two lobsters, and had a whole island to ourselves. We used some propane for cooking, some gas for the outboard, and I ran the engine for half an hour because you're supposed to do that once a week.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:05   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrybimm View Post
the whole sailboat propane bomb to me is a myth as i dont know anyone who blew there boat up due to that reason.
I suggest you do a little further research. Propane will absolutely blow up a boat like a stick of dynamite. Read a little and you will find cases of this happening reported in boating publications.

Disregard this at the risk of your life, no exaggeration, no joke.

Quote:
as for propane usage, i really dont see it being that much more then gasoline generators and buying jerry cans of fuel.whether im hauling a propane tank,or a jerry can, its still buying fuel to me....what im looking for on this thread, is propane consumption, and output/reliability....
The point is you will be buying more fuel more often. If other factors are more important that's another issue but consumption of fuel will increase.

Reliability on the other hand is very good. Read the current thread about outboards and ethanol in the gasoline gumming up the carbs.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 14:17   #18

Boat: o'day 302
i will be buying a wind generator this year, but one wind generator will not supply the amount of power that we will need on this boat.i spend a month and a half in nassau harbour due to crew injury so i got to step foot on alot of boats.and alot of boats were using generators.while i would like to believe that i could get away with just a wind generator, i already know i will run into power issues without a generator during peak night hours.and i dont have to money to put in solar/wind combo not to mention the amount of batteries i would need to keep topped up.the panels and wing to house it would run alot more then a generator and a few jerry cans of gas.theres been a few people talking like propane is the devils firestarter, yet in four months of straight sailing i didnt talk to one person who had there boat explode..or know anyone who had there boat explode. what i do know is that finding alcohol for our stove was expensive and troublesome. bomb or not, propane IS going on our boat, and i want to see if its cheaper to run a genset on it or not.
countrybimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 14:58   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
the whole sailboat propane bomb to me is a myth as i dont know anyone who blew there boat up due to that reason. ....
Perhaps you would like to read this account involving serving members of HM Forces. Having crewed on the service Nic 55s they don't normally skimp on safety, indeed it is the higest priority.

http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources...0trenchard.pdf

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 15:05   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
At risk of being labelled "Un-American" might I suggest to all you power hogs that you reduce your consumption? There is no cheaper, easier, or more efficient way to reduce your energy needs. On this 50 foot yacht I get ALL the electrical power I need from solar panels producing a peak of 250 watts, not very big. I lack nothing necessary. That's refrigeration, instruments, lights, computer, autopilot, etc. Only a few cloudy days in a row will force me to burn some diesel.

You can dump the heavy batteries, rid yourself of the fuel jugs, sail faster, free up deck space, live quietly, reduce maintenance, and on and on...
and for those who don't sail within the tropics your recommendation to heat water for washing and showering, is what or how to heat the boat when there is ice on the decks?

Our solution is to fire up the Honda which will run happly all night in the cockpit keeping us warm

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 17:04   #21

Quote:
....bomb or not, propane IS going on our boat, and i want to see if its cheaper to run a genset on it or not.
Well here's a datapoint:

Recently filled all the LPG tanks on a fairly remote Malaysian island: Tioman. You say 'propane' but what you are going to get in any non-winter climate is 60/40 mix with butane. Called gas or LPG or Autogas. The local 14kg (24 liter) bottle of LPG cost MYR33 (US$10) plus a MYR30 deposit. The bottles come in on a daily cargo boat. I have an adaptor from the Malaysian clip-on fitting to my US-type fitting. It took an hour of standing around in a vacant lot doing the upside-down filling dance to load the LPG. Petrol on the island can be had for MYR2 per liter. It is quicker to load, but messier.

The energy content of LPG is 28MJ/liter vs. petrol 32MJ/liter.

LPG: MYR1.38/liter / 28MJ/liter -> MYR49/kJ
Petrol: MYR2/liter / 32MJ/liter -> MYR62/kJ

So back on Pulau Tioman you get a little more bang-for-the-ringgit with LPG along with a little more hassle. This being a civilized country either are delivered directly to the boat and the prices of both are somewhat controlled by the government and subsidized.

LPG has the undiscussed advantage and disadvantage of being stored in heavy, safe, noisy containers. Petrol is stored in dangerous plastic jugs that can leak fluid and burp annoying vapors. Petrol will almost always be easier to obtain...but that was not the case on Pu Tioman.

Looks like you can take your pick.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:14   #22

Boat: o'day 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Perhaps you would like to read this account involving serving members of HM Forces. Having crewed on the service Nic 55s they don't normally skimp on safety, indeed it is the higest priority.

http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources...0trenchard.pdf

Pete
that exact type of explosion can come from gas vapour in engine bays.it happens on power boats, which is why they have fans that have to run before you can start the engines.a loose connector doesnt deter me from propane.loose connections with gasoline have caused fires as well.if people can run taxis and cargo vans on propane, a boat is no more deadly with proper installation and maintenence.

im glad im getting some feedback on this.that tri-fuel generator is what i want, but i have to decide if the 1000 for it will be worth it in the end.
countrybimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:37   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrybimm
a loose connector doesnt deter me from propane
I don't think anyone is trying to deter you from propane. That certainly isn't my intent. I think what people are trying to do is make sure that you realize the dangers of propane are not just some myth that you can completely ignore.

The dangers are very real. Indeed, the dangers with ANY fuel are very real, and need to be managed. Propane is certainly not the devil's firestarter. It is not significantly more dangerous than alcohol or gasoline. Be aware of the dangers, take reasonable precautions, and propane can be used in a safe manner. Ignore the dangers, though, and you are asking for trouble.

By the way, I don't really think you ever intended to imply that you were going to completely ignore the dangers of propane. But when you say that you think those dangers are a "myth" that is sort of what it sounds like. I suspect that you just meant that some people exaggerate the dangers of propane, which is probably true.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator