Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2018, 13:46   #1

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch
Propane system works 50%??

Hello folks, here's the situation.

Three burner stove and grill worked fine when laid up nine months ago in the tropics.
Now:
New regulator and hose to solonoid
Full tanks
New solonoid
Gas flows freely from T after the solonoid to grill when solonoid switched on.
No gas at any burner of the stove.
Any ideas, troubleshooting tips?
My next thought for tomorrow morning is to disconnect the feed where it connects to the stove. Hold my thumb over the hose to detect pressure.
Usually when I open the valve at the stove to ignite, I can hear a very slight hiss. Nothing now obviously.
Many thanks in advance, Jonathan
Calypso52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 14:07   #2

Boat: J/42
Re: Propane system works 50%??

The pressure after the regulator is really, really low. After the system has been opened, it can take a long time to purge all the air out of the lines and start getting clean gas. Sometimes it seems like you have to hold the pilot light button down for half an hour...
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 14:26   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Clean out all the little holes in your burners.
Old 01-02-2018, 14:30   #4

Many gas stoves have a flame failure safety cut off. The gas knob must be pushed in for a while for gas to be delivered. It may be a silly question, but if you haven't used the stove for some months, are you remembering to push the gas knob in while turning to the on position?

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 14:42   #5

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Spider webs?
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:47   #6

If you left the plumbing disconnected for any period of time, mud-daubers may have built a home in the piece of hose leading to the stove. There was a jet airliner that was lost due to this occurring (in the pitot tube) after the plane sat in Puerto Rico/Dominican Republic for several weeks.
boatman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:48   #7

Boat: Freedom 28 Cat Ketch

Not sure if there's something different between seagoing propane tanks and regular BBQ tanks, but I'm guessing your excess flow device is tripped.

Easy fix :The Best Kept Secret in your RV Propane System
Jdeuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:51   #8

Boat: Freedom 28 Cat Ketch

Don't know if my other post went through, but I'm guessing your excess flow device is tripped. Just turn off the burners, turn off the solenoid, turn off the tank, and wait a half minute or so. Reverse the steps, and if the solenoid and stove valves are functioning properly, you should be good to go.

The Best Kept Secret in your RV Propane System
Jdeuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:41   #9

Boat: Hunter 37c

I have some experience with this on my camper and other propane appliances I own. I have used that experience to save myself from experiencing it on my boat.
When you laid the boat up at the end of last season, did you remove parts and leave the open hose exposed to the air at any point in the configuration. Mud daubers and other wasps are attracted to small spaces that smell of propane or mercaptan. They will kill a tiny insect, stuff it into a hole (hose) and lay their egg into the hole. They then seal the hole with a mud-like mixture which hardens and seals the hole so the egg and its future meal are safe from predators. frequently the egg doesn't hatch and the hole stays sealed.
I have learned to always put tape over the open end of any propane fixture or part I am working on to prevent this from happening.
Please take this advice seriously as it can be a cause of death, as a fire hazard,
especially in heating devices.
This is not only a problem in the tropics but also in Canada on the Great Lakes.
nautitrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:05   #10

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypso52 View Post
Hello folks, here's the situation.

Three burner stove and grill worked fine when laid up nine months ago in the tropics.
Now:
New regulator and hose to solonoid
Full tanks
New solonoid
Gas flows freely from T after the solonoid to grill when solonoid switched on.
No gas at any burner of the stove.
Any ideas, troubleshooting tips?
My next thought for tomorrow morning is to disconnect the feed where it connects to the stove. Hold my thumb over the hose to detect pressure.
Usually when I open the valve at the stove to ignite, I can hear a very slight hiss. Nothing now obviously.
Many thanks in advance, Jonathan
As a thought, are you getting a pilot light? You may be having a Klaxon valve problem. No pilot or pilot to far from the bulb, no gas to the burners
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:18   #11

Boat: Custom 34 ft., sail-assisted trawler, wood hull, built 2005

The jets in your burners can become clogged. It often takes a 7mm socket to remove the jets. Once out, I usually just soak them in acetone and blow them out, then replace them.
Briney Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:27   #12

Boat: 32 contessa

as briney bug said ,
But acetone may take the coating off ,,, i use Jet cleaners from a welding supply shop there cheap and small like a needle with groves you just take the nipple out and push the pin thru
Screw the jet back in and use the stove ,,,
If i don't use my fridge or stove over winter they clog ,,,, never worked out why ?
Maybe some mold ?
I would love to know ,,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-02-03 at 7.23.52 am.png
Views:	101
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	163290  
Robert Tilbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:55   #13

I know I have been surprised about how long it takes an evacuated line to fill with propane. Keep that in mind for sure.
The other problem is regulators. I have been having a lot of trouble with them for 5 years. I dont know why. The device will work fine for a month, then with propane still in the bottle it will light up but not heat up high, like insufficient gas flow. Replacing (yet again) the regulator and things are fine for a while.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 13:44   #14

Boat: 32 contessa

Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=Screen Shot 2018-02-03 at 8.41.43 am.png Views: 104 Size: 143.2 KB ID: 163295" style="margin: 2px" />
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I know I have been surprised about how long it takes an evacuated line to fill with propane. Keep that in mind for sure.
The other problem is regulators. I have been having a lot of trouble with them for 5 years. I dont know why. The device will work fine for a month, then with propane still in the bottle it will light up but not heat up high, like insufficient gas flow. Replacing (yet again) the regulator and things are fine for a while.
Cheechako for sure , i have an RV also , in the last 8 years i have replaced 3 the last two are the adjustable type , they don't make them like they used to , ,,, 3x the price but 10 times better

I now have these fitted to my boat and RV ,
Robert Tilbury is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane