Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2021, 11:56   #1

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
Propane Through-Deck Fitting

We prefer to keep our Magma kettle barbecue grill stowed when we're not using it. While we were cruising, the disposable propane canisters became impossible to find so we plumbed a connection to our 20-pound propane tanks. However, this meant having the propane locker open and the propane hose feeding our grill was lying on the deck as long as we were grilling which was not only inconvenient but potentially dangerous though we never had a problem. What I haven't been able to find is a small through-deck fitting with a quick disconnect that I could permanently install on my cap rail. Ideally, this fitting would have some sort of water-tight, weatherproof seal
or cover and would be small enough so that lines, etc wouldn't be likely to get snagged on it and robust enough so that if a line did get snagged on it, it would be unlikely to break.

I did get in touch with Magma but they referred me to the boat's builder.

Any ideas?
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 12:29   #2

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30
Re: Propane Through-Deck Fitting

Get an external bbq connector designed for caravans/motorhomes.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 05:51   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Propane Through-Deck Fitting

I'm having a hard time visualizing what you want, or matching Anders' suggestion to it.

The general rule is that all tees and other joints go in the propane box, which drains overboard. Then each appliance has its own hose, with no joints, coming through a gas-proof seal in the wall of the box. That would in turn mean either leaving the bbq attached to its hose permanently, or detaching the hose and coiling it up for storage. There isn't an allowance for mounting a quick connect in the wall of the box, convenient as that would be. ABYC also requires a way to shut off the bottle that is convenient to the appliance, however far from the bottle it might be, which really amounts to having a switch to a solenoid at the appliance.

We've approached the problem two ways: One is owning a lot of one pound disposable bottles, the problem you are trying to solve, and the other building a completely separate propane system for a cabin heater, with box, drain, and shut-off solenoid as required.

Tags
deck, propane