Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2011, 04:50   #1

Boat: Morgan 321, BELIEVE
Proper Support for Holding Tank Installation

Each time I GOOGLE "holding tank installation" I wind up with diagrams for waste systems' installation that include the connections for the Y-valves, vented loops, vent line and etc. What I am looking for is what is needed or recommended for a good physical / structural mounting. If I decide to invest in a new system I don't want the components to be damaged because of improper installation techniques. Any web pages or maintenance books you can recommend will be appreciated.
Duke
Duke 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 05:04   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Proper Support for Holding Tank Installation

I don't have any text to recommend, but for my own installation I confined the tank within a wood frame. Although the frame supports the tank, the greatest security comes from the use of tie down straps. I used the same straps that are sold as tie downs for boats carried on trailers and folded the ends of the of the straps fitted with grommets and bolted to strong bulkheads. I adjusted the strap length so that it was firm with the bolts loose and, when tightening the bolts, the straps were drawn tight.
Old 17-08-2011, 05:10   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

"... RONCO MARINE TANKS should always be stored out of direct sunlight and protected from freezing. Prior to installation, tanks should be at room temperature for a minimum of six (6) hours. The tank must be installed on a flat or contour matched surface, be clean and totally supported in all planes with 1/2" - 3/4" marine plywood or equivalent ..."

Ronco Plastics - Marine Water Tanks, RV Water Tank, Auto Detail Tanks, Water Tanks

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 05:31   #4

Thanks GORD
Old 17-08-2011, 06:45   #5

I like the strap idea, CAPT. But for now, I'm not sure just where I will be mounting the tank.

Although RONCO doesn't specify anything, should I consider adding some type of cushioning between the support and the tank?
Old 17-08-2011, 16:14   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

If the tank is supported by a method that does not allow it to move, then cushioning would not be required and the tank should absolutely not be moving.

Here you see an area off my holding tank that appears not to be supported, but both above and below this view of my tank level monitor are the tie down straps that I referred to. There is an advantage to having some surface of the tank available for monitoring....

I use the SCAD Solo tank monitor and it has been working well for me with no intrusive device in the tank that can be "messy".
I definitely recognize that Gord May's advice suggesting the tank be supported on all surfaces is wise, but, like all choices aboard, there are compromises to consider.

Tags
holding tank, installation