Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2005, 08:23   #1

Boat: currently "on the beach"
props

the boat is hauled and all looks great below the waterline except my prop, which has been painted many times with anti fouling paint. can i just zip strip the paint, and is it needed in the first place. prop is otherwise in fine shape. capt. lar

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 09:54   #2

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
Lanolin

I installed two "Flex-O-Fold props on my cat in Canada last year and sailed her to Trinidad. Lots of brass. I dove regularly to try to maintain smooth surfaces on them and rest of bottom, using plastic scouring pads on ablative paint and on props. In Trini, the brass had about 1/8" of carbonate growth. It took a few hours of tooth-brushing with 50% muriatic acid to clean them off.

I asked around, inside and outside chandleries what should be used to keep the brass clean. Bottom paint seldom sticks without a good epoxy or primer, and even they do not stick well, because the brass oxidizes almost immediately, and you are attempting to stick the coating to oxidized brass. Still, most coatings companies provide some type of product; but the experienced people I talked to in the aisles suggested nothing works satisfactorily.

Gougeon Brothers make an epoxy coating that can work, but (as I understand it) recommend submerging the part in the epoxy and wire brushing it under the surface of the wet epoxy. Seems rather messy to me, but I get covered from head to toe just trying to get into an egg!

I was standing around as a cat was being launched, and noticed the props were coated with ablative paint. I asked the owner what he used, and he said the boat was new to him. He was a New Zealander, and said if he had his way, and the time required, he would clean them off and apply lanolin, as it always works.

lanolin is an oil/cream that comes from sheep's wool. Rather common in New Zealand, and with many uses there. I just got a little pot of it here in Canada via a special order at a pharmacy. It will be on the plane to Trinidad with me shortly. I don't have any idea how or how much to use, or how well it will work; but will give it a try. Anybody have experience?
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 11:07   #3

Lanolin

Dear Sonosailer,

Like I always say. "It wouldn't hurt to try it?" You could try lanolin out. I don't know how much. This idea is new to me. That's why I joined this forum in the first place.

You really can learn alot from a forum like this one. I have been learning alot, in the short time I've joined this forum. 3 weeks ago yesterday. Man, time sure does fly.

Good luck.

Regards,

Kevin
CaptainK
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 11:32   #4

Here's one from out in left field. New someone who had a new prop with the same questions. One year they marked their prop with a magic marker - can't remember what they wrote - it's irellevent. At the end of the season when they pulled the boat, lo and behold there was no growth at all where they had written with the magic marker. Maybe it can't be this simple but magic markers are cheap, and maybe they do work. If someone else tries this, let us all know. It may be a well kept secret to keep us buying the expensive solution. If it does work, they will most likely come out with a marine magic marker for $20.00 each.
By Invitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 12:08   #5

True

Dear By Invitation,

That is probably the silliest thing I ever heard.

But if what you say is true. Yeah, give the industry time to come up with a magic marker that is 10 times more than the normal priced ones.

Regards,

Kevin
CaptainK
Old 08-10-2005, 13:15   #6

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Lanolin

I have a big tub of it that I got when I started sailing. Haven't tried it on the prop yet but think it'd be a good idea. It sticks pretty good. I use it on my anchor shackles and on a mooring buoy and the shackles are real easy to get off after a season. The stuff sticks like sh** to a blanket. I hope it stands up to the rotation on a prop. An old waterman once told me to use STP so I did. Didn't work woth a damn. Maybe he was pulling my leg but it seemed like a good idea at the time.
Old 08-10-2005, 14:20   #7

Hey, if it works. Use it.
Old 08-10-2005, 14:33   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Full power to get through narrow bridge opening...

When I first launched my ferro yacht some years ago I did not anti foul the propellor on the assumption that the copper in the bronze would keep it clean.
A few months later on applying power to go through a narrow opening of a bridge that had just opened for me I discovered the boat would hardly move....
When I checked I found that I did not have a prop, I had a ball of what looked liked coral.
Concluding that propellors did indeed need antifouling I scraped the "coral" off the prop gave it a quick coat of el-cheapo high build red (iron) oxide epoxy that I had on hand, followed by several coats of the same anti fouling that I used on the hull.
I had no further problems.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 14:36   #9

Good show. That's what I would've used! And will use!!
Old 08-10-2005, 14:55   #10

Quote:
That is probably the silliest thing I ever heard.
I told you it was from left field. Don't laugh too hard if you find out that it works.

I am also a sceptic, but you never know.

If I made you laugh then the post was worth it.
By Invitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 15:00   #11

By Invitation,

By all means, try it out. Like you have kept saying. If it works. Then, on the day of your great discovery. You could have everyone on this forum's floor. And all attention will be upon you.

Spotlights, Please!!!

Attention...Attention..Please...Important Announcement!!!

Just like that, By Invitation!!

Go and try it out. The least it could do is, if it works. You've made a discovery. Get a patient. Quickly!! Then sell your idea off!!

Regards,

Kevin
CaptainK
Old 08-10-2005, 16:27   #12

ok - i purchased a sheep so i am ready for that part. is easiest way to strip "zip strip" type paint remover ? any other prep ?
any tips on how to get the sheep up to the prop ?
capt. lar

Old 08-10-2005, 17:06   #13

Hardy Har Har. Now that's Funny!!
Old 08-10-2005, 17:28   #14
Kai Nui

The Prop Marker! Coming soon to a West Marine near you. Only $49.95!;D
I have heard the lanolin thing, and believe it due to the source.
A surveyor explained to me why not to use bottom paint on a prop, but over the years, I have forgotten the reason. I only recall that it is a bad idea. I dive on the boat twice a year, and cleaning the prop is part of the project.
As for the sheep, you tie the head to the rudder, and the tail to the prop shaft. As the prop turns, it will squeeze the sheep right onto the prop
Old 08-10-2005, 17:53   #15

clearly one negative to the ablative is build up. there must be ten coats, peels, lumps - no way that prop is spinning clean. i'm sure that puts a load on the shaft. on an outboard it would shake the engine off the transom. sounds like strip it down and start over and don't let it get to this point again. strange that they did entire hull right down to start, but left the prop. no logic.
i may try the lanolin trick - easy to monitor / maintain during one season. besides, i kinda like my new sheep (alice).
capt. lar