Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2016, 00:19   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473- 2006
Re: Protecting galvanized steel anchor

Why even debate the issue !- just re-galvanize the anchor
GarthGregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 00:25   #17

Boat: Hartley Sth Seas 38'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthGregory View Post
I agree. For protection for yourself and boat if nothing else. Common sense.
Sofie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 01:44   #18

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Plus, there comes a time with the pins on CQRs that they need a bit of re-building. When the pin becomes too worn, the plow cannot assume the proper position for digging in. Repair is possible, with re-galv to follow, and then will be good for many, many anchorings, before it needs re-done. For those who want more peace of mind, get a new generation anchor.

Ann
Old 01-10-2016, 09:11   #19

Boat: Homebuilt--my second, mostly complete. 49' cat

I still think a zinc bolted to the anchor would help protect any more noble metal in the water like it does for anything else. It has been pooh poohed here on the forums here, though. Why wouldn't it work for any anchor? (other that when it breaks off on a rock?)
Philip St1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:45   #20

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip St1 View Post
I still think a zinc bolted to the anchor would help protect any more noble metal in the water like it does for anything else. It has been pooh poohed here on the forums here, though. Why wouldn't it work for any anchor? (other that when it breaks off on a rock?)
It won't work because the the loss of galvanization is due to mechanical erosion from scraping on rocks, coral and sand. If you look at where the galvanization is missing on an anchor that gets used often, it is on the edges and points.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:47   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthGregory View Post
Is it really worth the money to re-galvanize an old relatively small CQR anchor, when there are so many better anchors available at not that much more than re-galvanizing (unless perhaps you can get it thrown in with someone elses bigger job).
Old 01-10-2016, 11:56   #22

I just painted my Spade with Por-15 rust preventative and a two-part top coat.. We'll see how long it lasts this season.

Old 01-10-2016, 15:12   #23

Boat: Homebuilt--my second, mostly complete. 49' cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
It won't work because the the loss of galvanization is due to mechanical erosion from scraping on rocks, coral and sand. If you look at where the galvanization is missing on an anchor that gets used often, it is on the edges and points.

Dear Paul L

The usual parts of a boat that a zinc protects are bare metal, too. I am thinking of the propeller shaft, through hulls, and the like. Yes, the zinc on an anchor comes off where it is scraped, but a proper zinc anode on the shaft of the anchor might provide some protection---would it not---like it does for the above??

Galvanizing is a thin coating and doesn't behave like a properly grounded zinc on a hull does, at least that is what my engineering/material science background is telling me.
Philip St1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 15:41   #24

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip St1 View Post
Dear Paul L

The usual parts of a boat that a zinc protects are bare metal, too. I am thinking of the propeller shaft, through hulls, and the like. Yes, the zinc on an anchor comes off where it is scraped, but a proper zinc anode on the shaft of the anchor might provide some protection---would it not---like it does for the above??

Galvanizing is a thin coating and doesn't behave like a properly grounded zinc on a hull does, at least that is what my engineering/material science background is telling me.
The rust t hat appears on bare spots on an anchor does not occur whilst the anchor is in the water, but rather when it is at rest on the bow in an oxygen rich atmosphere. Adding an anode will not do a damn bit of good to prevent this. A totally different situation than protecting submerged metal parts.

Jim
Old 01-10-2016, 16:31   #25

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
The rust that appears on bare spots on an anchor does not occur whilst the anchor is in the water, but rather when it is at rest on the bow in an oxygen rich atmosphere. Adding an anode will not do a damn bit of good to prevent this. A totally different situation than protecting submerged metal parts.
Yes, and in addition, under water, the little electrons moving in the metal and the ions moving in the water will find the galvanizing zinc both closer to the bleeding iron and of greatly larger surface area than the much smaller and more distant bolted on zinc anode. The bolted on anode will have little beneficial effect.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 17:16   #26

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

An interesting thing about painting a galvanised fitting is that it can concentrate all the loss of the anode (the galvanising in this case) onto any exposed galvanising like where the paint has been chipped off. So overall it may result in less protection and premature failure as the thin galvanising gets quickly eaten away in just a few locations. Rather than slowly eroded over the whole area.

On a painted anchor a separate replacable anode might be worthwhile, if it is sitting underwater for long periods of time. I wonder if an aluminium anode would work better?

But anyway as mentioned the galv tends to wear away mechanically in key places before it fails overall as an anode.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Tags
anchor, rot, steel