Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2021, 08:43   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter
PUR PowerSurvivor 35 Watermaker

It was installed when we bought Imagine. I'm looking to get it working. Any and all inputs are appreciated, especially from those with first hand experience.
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2021, 15:28   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: PUR PowerSurvivor 35 Watermaker

No telling what its condition will be, from working just fine to total junk.

Can you get it freshwater for flush and saltwater to push through the filter? If so, divert the output into a jar and run it. Keep running it if water comes out until it loses the hydrogen sulfide smell. If it's still pumping out, test what you've got.

RO watermakers are supposed to have all kinds of maintenance. Yours has not. But then, my watermaker doesn't seem to care - I neglect it, I start it up, it produces a liter or so of nasty stuff, and then it produces water better than our municipal supply. You might get lucky.
Old 26-10-2021, 16:50   #3

Boat: Pearson 367

This guy wrote the book on power survivors. Using the way back machine I was able to find a PDF copy of the book. If you can't find it pm me your email and I'll send you a copy.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ser-40828.html
Old 26-10-2021, 17:19   #4

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeld View Post
It was installed when we bought Imagine. I'm looking to get it working. Any and all inputs are appreciated, especially from those with first hand experience.
We are using a powersurvivor 35 which we bought used in 1993.
Probably you will need a new membrane. You'll check this last.
Procedure:
  1. verify that the motor runs and the pump moves the piston up and down. If this works and there are no broken bits all else is easily fixable.
  2. Once the pump is running you need to see if it moves water. Hook up the intake hose to a source of water and see if anything comes out the product water pipe. If not (likely) you need a rebuild kit
  3. Obtain a rebuild kit for it and follow the instructions (carefully). It is mostly replacing small O-rings and some small valves. You need an allen wrench to do most of it. Proceed slowly and carefully, following the instructions or the book referenced above. Note: Very small errors or misalignments will prevent the pump from working.
  4. Once you have it pumping check the output water (by tasting it)
  5. if it is not sweet, then you probably need a membrane. They are proprietary I believe.
  6. Always run it with plenty of battery power because you can damage the motor with low voltage (I run ours only when the engine is going)
  7. Always pickle it with preservative if you are going to NOT run it for over a few days.
One and a half hours a day, while charging our battery, produces enough beautiful fresh water for our drinking needs. More water than that, I recommend a bigger watermaker.
Old 27-10-2021, 09:01   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

How To Survive With A PowerSurvivor Watermaker
By Gary E . Albers* [ishipaco] Aboard S/V ISHI
https://web.archive.org/web/20110810...rmakerBook.PDF

Power survivor 35 manual by Recovery Engineering
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...?do=file&id=26

PowerSurvivor Katadyn 40E Watermaker
https://web.archive.org/web/20110805....ishipaco.com/

* Update, from Gary Albers (Ishipaco), 26-04-2021 ➥ https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3395713

Gary's Profile ➥ https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...aco-36204.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 13:46   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thank you all for your replies. I'll get on it ASAP and report back when I have something to share.
Old 01-12-2021, 12:55   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Lots of boat projects and maintenance going on. I finally had the time to check out the PUR PowerSurvivor 35 Watermaker. I took it home and powered it with a 20 Amp battery charger. I ran two gallons of distilled water through it. At first, the ejected water was discolored and the output was as well. After about 3/4 gallon of water, everything cleared up. No leaks, no weird noises. It "produced" a few ounces of water. My next "test" will be to run some ocean water through it to see what we get. Membranes are still available @ $400+, so I'll wait and see how it runs again for an hour or two before I shell out the cash. Thanks to everyone who replied and shared their knowledge.

Tags
water, watermaker