Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2012, 05:36   #1

Boat: Pearson 303
Purchasing Boat With Wet Core

I hope that someone can help. I have been presented an offer to purchase a 39 Gulfstar.(1982,,3,4 ish) The broker has mentioned that the deck has some wet areas. The price is between 30,000-39,000. According to the broker outside of the wet the boat is 100% with 50,000 spent over the past 3 years. I also understand that the core can be repaired from below, broker states headliner can be removed for easy repair. Your input is welcome best case, worst case, and approximate cost. Im a home builder by trade so I can do some demo but have no plans to do the entire job.

Thanks for your replies.
2ndwynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 10:18   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Purchasing Boat With Wet Core

Yes, wet cored decks can be relatively easily repaired if not too extensive, but more importantly don't take the broker's word for it (remember his job is to sell you the boat not find problems that might scew-up the deal).

Never, ever, never buy a boat without a professional out-of-the water survey. It can save you way more money than it costs.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 10:22   #3

Get your surveyor to id the areas as best he can. Get a pro estimate for repairs. Negotiate further! It's going to be a mess for sure... unless it's just a few spots...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 10:24   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndwynd View Post
I hope that someone can help. I have been presented an offer to purchase a 39 Gulfstar.(1982,,3,4 ish) The broker has mentioned that the deck has some wet areas. The price is between 30,000-39,000. According to the broker outside of the wet the boat is 100% with 50,000 spent over the past 3 years. I also understand that the core can be repaired from below, broker states headliner can be removed for easy repair. Your input is welcome best case, worst case, and approximate cost. Im a home builder by trade so I can do some demo but have no plans to do the entire job.

Thanks for your replies.
Whether you do it from above or below, it's a big, messy, time consuming job. Therefore it's important to know what you're getting into. A survey should tell you the extent of the rot, then you should get a quote to repair it.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 10:31   #5

Come to think of it.... the broker probably knows this from a previous survey that failed the purchase. Maybe ask if he can show it to you, or who did the survey.... sounds like a good price if the rest of the boat is nice. The key is how extensive the problem is maybe....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 10:45   #6

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran WONDERLAND

It is usually WORSE than you think so plan for the worst and hope for the best.

No matter how much was spent on that old boat, an old boat is NEVER finished and I can assure you there will be other unexpected expenses you will incur once you own it so Negotiate HARD and make sure to take off your rose colored glasses prior to owning it
Old 19-02-2012, 10:48   #7

Boat: Reinell 26 "Tobi Maru

For what it is worth: No way I'd pay that much for that boat in this market. As far as borker saying you can repair wet deck core by removing the headliner, that is a HUGE understatment! The deck core, to dry out (if its not rotten) needs to be exposed, this requires drilling alot of holes into the core and applying a heat source for amny days if not weeks. Alternatively, if that doesnt work, one of the skins needs to be cut out to expose the entire core. That is a DIY project but, is very time consuming and messy.
I do echo everyone elses advice, get a survey and take $10,000 off the price.
Danosimp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 11:25   #8
Armchair Bucketeer

I would get a rough quote from a proffessional yard (or 2) in your area. add 50% for your aggro and risk (of the work being more expensive / unexpected problems being found)....even if doing the work by self (labour costs go down - but aggro goes up!).......and use that as a guide on boat price.

Could be all that has already been factored in to the asking price (I doubt it! - or only wildly optimistically)....if the number comes up higher than a boat with a dry core, then you have the answer. Personally unless I loved the boat I would give it a miss completely simply because life is too short. Or offer $10k (presuming that the rest of the boat is in sound condition, even it not pretty). Remember, a Vendor only gets to tell ya to Eff Orf once!

But a fair chance that even a "dry" boat has some wet core (you just don't know about it - yet!) - personally, I would go for the approach of Wet until proven otherwise (or at least as far as humanly possible, including Googling up how the boat was constructed and problems that other owners have had).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
core