Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 10:56   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
PVC Inflatable repair glue

Hi All:
I've been looking for glue to repair the high Pressure floor on my inflatable. I tried patching it with a repair kit that I had and it leaked. When I made the repair I realized that the glue didn't flow like it usually does. I made the repair anyway -- it leaked. When I thought it over the glue must have been five or so years old. Unopned but old. I've looked for different glues to use and found Vyna Bond, Stabond, and Clifton Urethane Adhesive to be among the most highly recommended. Problem is that once I make my little repairs the glue is going to have a pretty short shelf life. Being a cheapskate I came across the idea of using PVC cement for plumbing pipe. One problem that I can see with it is that I don't know how flexible the glue is. Does anyone know if this will work. My understanding of the glue is that it chemically welds PVC together. Any comments? Has anyone tried this?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:14   #2

Re: PVC Inflatable repair glue

I think there may be some risk of the PVC glue "melting" too much of the dinghy surface. The West Marine repair kit includes a small tube of glue and a few patches and seems excessively expensive at about $35; it does not mention the chemical composition of the glue: no surprise.

Jay H
Hard to Leeve
jayherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:19   #3

Boat: Irwin 40

I use the fast cure version of 5200, 4200. it works great for this type of repair just have to let it cure a couple of days to be sure and if you can place a weight on the patch while it cures so much the better. I tried the expensive repair kits and glue and they failed. the 4200 always worked. Good luck with it.
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:20   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayherz View Post
I think there may be some risk of the PVC glue "melting" too much of the dinghy surface. The West Marine repair kit includes a small tube of glue and a few patches and seems excessively expensive at about $35; it does not mention the chemical composition of the glue: no surprise.

Jay H
Hard to Leeve
I think what I will do is test the glue with two patches and see how that works out. I probably have a can of the stuff around. I think I will use the slowest curing product I can find. The West Marine price really seems excessive to me.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 05-09-2013, 12:14   #5

Boat: Cal 48 Wainui

Polymarine Hypalon 2 Part Adhesive
Wainui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 14:40   #6

Boat: Rafiki 37

InflatableBoatParts.com
I've had good luck with these guys' They have a number of repair kits at different price points. Pasted the link to their repair kit section if you want to look at what they have to offer:

Inflatable Boat and Raft Repair, Repair Kits and Instructions
kentobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:50   #7

Ditto on the 5200 but maybe try epoxy first. I tried all manner of stuff for nearly a year to fix two persistent leaks (one in the floor and one in a hull chamber). Both were small but required pumping daily. I first let some un-thickened epoxy permeate the seam in floor (and cut in the hull) and cure for 24 hours. Then smoothed over with a bit of 5200 and let that cure for a few days. I have not pumped in over two months (knock wood).

I got the idea (solution) from the Team Ocelot blog. s/v Ocelot Cruising the World
danhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:18   #8

Might search for "plastic welding repair kit" they are available for PVC and come with a heating iron. You need to apply heat while gluing.

As to plumbers glue, it sure bonds pipe together but it's not welded onto the pipe. The is a tool to remove pipe from joints (as if they can't be cut out and replaced for much less than the cost of the tool, but handy for a second floor y under a sub floor) but it applies heat as well allowing the pipe to come out. When the pipe is pulled out you clean the inner surface of the old glue but the original fixture is not deformed at all as if it had been welded, it's still smooth and can be used again. While there is a chemical bond there is no physical material bonding.

For a high pressure application over 10 psi I'd weld it not glue it.....now that doesn't mean there isn't some adhesive made for high pressures as mentioned above, just that I'd go the welding kit route.

Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 15:18   #9

Thanks for the tips guys. The PVC pipe glue did not work at all. I tried it on a couple of pieces of patch and it did not bond at all. I am now considering either 3M 4200 or Vyna Bond. 4200 is in the lead because Vyna Bond is difficult to source. I figure I can lay out the inflatable floor on my drive way and then use sand bags to apply pressure to the patch for 48 hours.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 09-09-2013, 16:25   #10
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

you want a two-part adhesive. be aware that different two-part adhesives are made for PVC and Hypalon patches.

For this type of repair, a slow bond is best. Here's a good one from the Defender catalogue that takes 48 hours for a full cure. Polymarine PVC 2 Part Adhesive

Tags
inflatable, paracelle