Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2019, 08:16   #16

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: Q? about West Systems epoxy

All epoxies are extremely sensitive to the proper mix. You can't add more hardener to make it go off faster like polyester resin (Bondo). You have to mix thoroughly. Stir it and wipe down the sides of your container and then stir again. Just a little resin or hardener in the container which is not mixed will screw the whole batch up. So stir it again.

BTW they do make non-West epoxy in 1 to 1 and 1 to 2 mix designs and they also have their own pumps.

PS stir again!
Old 25-10-2019, 08:29   #17

Yep wrong ratio. But also, don't just pour epoxy into a crack that big, you need filler, or glass etc mixed in.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 09:20   #18
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yep wrong ratio. But also, don't just pour epoxy into a crack that big, you need filler, or glass etc mixed in.
thanks for all the helpful replies. i was in a rush and misread the 1 to 1 (PUMP) instructions as 1 to 1 mixing instructions. did a test in 2 x 4 yesterday and it cured perfectly.

thanks cheechako...yes will be adding cab-o-sil to thicken it up and fill the holes. will do in two batches (approx 30 holes), and early so i have enough time.

they are just going to be attachment points for all the screws holding down my doghouse so i dont have any leaks into my balsa core so they dont have to look pretty, just give me a good seal and surface to drill into. cleaned out holes pretty well of old gooey epoxy and redrilled them to get back to clean balsa and fiberglass.
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 09:23   #19
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1Fountain View Post
Used to use West System yrs ago because of the ease. I now buy my epoxy or VE from US Composites about for 1/2 the cost, plus they carry everything else needed to do glass work.
You can also put your mixed resin in a larger pan so it’s not in a ‘bucket’ for a longer working time.
west systems is freaking way overpriced. it was painfull buying it but my impatience gets the best of me sometimes. iv'e used Composites One epoxies extensively. very high quality resins and about half the price but a pain to buy.
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 09:28   #20
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Remember, you can also mix epoxy by weight, and it is often handier for very large or very small volumes (it's hard to trust a small fraction of a stroke). Digital scales have gotten quite cheap. Works for all can sizes and all types.

I use both methods.
Old 25-10-2019, 09:33   #21

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

This reply shows a small repair project I performed w/ the West System epoxy.

My usage is always w/ a small mixing cup and a precision scale. I tare the cup, add epoxy, divide the mass by five, multiply by six and drip in hardener until that mass is reached.

This method permits mixing batches from tiny to large.

The West System fillers are very useful for the various applications.

Here is a project where I installed a suede headliner on my Jeep using West System w/ their 405 filleting blend filler and fiberglass sheeting.
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 10:01   #22

Location: Boat is on the hard in San Carlos for the tropical storm season. We are back in the PNW
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Just finished a small project where I had to rebed/replace the screws for a hatch in the cockpit; turned out well. In speaking with the West Systems tech person, I used the Six10 tube I already had on the boat. I also had the West Systems two part epoxy mix, but the tube is the one the tech recommended for this application.

And it stored well - had been opened for >6 months. You need to utilize the disposable tips when using the product, but well worth the no mess - no fuss for filling a dozen screw holes for re-drilling. And packed away nicely again.

https://www.westsystem.com/specialty...poxy-adhesive/
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 10:11   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by er9 View Post
ugh!!! you guys are correct. i misread the instructions. cant believe i did that. i know better.

thanks for pointing it out.

i will do another test at 5:1 and see what happens. hardener is light amber color so its probably just fine.
BTW, if you are filling holes and other voids consider Marine Tex. On vertical areas pack the hole and tape over to keep the stuff from sagging out.

We$t has videos you can watch. Also, YouTube.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 10:12   #24

Boat: Morgan 1974 OI 41

Hate to admit it, but I made the same stupid mistake. I had used 1:1 epoxy for years and years and assumed the same for West System the first time I used it. Wondered why it wouldn't set up properly.
Kick me, I should have read the instructions.
winschwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 10:16   #25

Location: Boat is on the hard in San Carlos for the tropical storm season. We are back in the PNW
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Just finished a small project that came out well using the West Systems Six10 thickened epoxy adhesive. I had called West Systems and spoke to the tech who recommended that product over the West Systsems 2 part liquid resin/hardner with filler added. I had both on board and this was his recommendation.

The tube had been opened for >6 months, but stored well. The project was filling a dozen small screw holes for a hatch cover in the cockpit. The new hinges needed to be re-set and the screw holes needed re-drilling. Worked great, and no mix, no muss, no fuss, and re-stored the tube very easily.

https://www.westsystem.com/specialty...poxy-adhesive/

It does use up a replaceable tip, but really good for jobs like this.
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 11:17   #26

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

West System is not intended to pour into a void.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 13:13   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

WEST system...Wood Epoxy Saturation Technique.

Every single part of wood in my boat was slathered with this stuff. It was used either as a sealer or a glue.

I used West system for practically everything wood while building my boat and often used it as a " filler". Besides the variety of West fillers, I would add sawdust to my epoxy mix.....just enough to give it a nice thick consistency...I had plenty of sawdust and I had it in several different colors depending on the wood I was using. Instead of sweeping the sawdust into the trash can I would collect it and keep it in jars..

Not being the most adept craftsman in town when it came to wood working, the West system became my best friend as with it I would hide, fix, change, modify, seal, glue, connect anything and everything.

My hull and deck were made from steel. I had the interior sand-blasted and painted, but there was one part of the underneath side of the deck that somehow missed getting blasted and painted. When I finally got around to noticing it, several weeks had gone by. I brushed the rust off and I rolled some West system over the bare steel and many years later that section of deck looked like the day I did it.

Yes, it's bloody expensive, but it's a great product.

Back in the late 70's it was the best around. I believe it came out in 1969 and I don't recall if there were any competing brands or products at that time.

There are some competing brands out now, but don't know enough about them to offer an opinion.

If I had to do it all over again, I would use the WEST again.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 15:17   #28
Marine Service Provider

You're really lucky you didn't catch something on fire. I guess the 1-1 was so reactionary it didn't even have time to blow up in your face before it had shot its wad. RTFM. Marine grade epoxy, whether it is West System or and other, is a 5-1 ration resin to hardener. Some non-marine grade hardware store type are 4-1.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 15:26   #29
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
You're really lucky you didn't catch something on fire. I guess the 1-1 was so reactionary it didn't even have time to blow up in your face before it had shot its wad. RTFM. Marine grade epoxy, whether it is West System or and other, is a 5-1 ration resin to hardener. Some non-marine grade hardware store type are 4-1.

There are several marine epoxies that aren't 5:1, some as low as 2:1 and 1:1

In the OP case, the one part of the resin reacted with 1/5 of the hardener added and the other 4/5 of the hardener sat quietly in the pot.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 16:38   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I use US Composite 635 THIN 2:1 epoxy. I bought it by the 3-gallon box. It’s designed for superior wet out and has no amine blush so you can make multiple coats. The speed is very slow. I made pours up to 5 inches thick compounded with 3M micro balloons as filler in my rudder. It took three days to sanding hard in my basement. It was never even warm to touch. Lower cost than We$t. Check my photos. Fiberglass , Epoxy , Composites, Carbon Fiber - U.S. Composites, Inc. Thy also sell fillers, reinforcements and many other resins.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epoxy