Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2019, 19:01   #31

Re: Q? about West Systems epoxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
Shoulda been 5:1, resin to hardener by volume or weight. I'm reading the instructions off the quart can. It's worth having the pumps or a scale to ensure the mixture. I would have thought with 1:1 mix, it would have cured in the mixing bowl.

If it hasn't cured by now, dig it out and mix a proper batch. The new batch should cure what's left in the holes.

West Systems is my favorite, I never had old resin or hardener fail to cure. But if I knew it was old wouldn't use it except as a filler. I use to buy resin in drums.
Hardener turns a dark orange color when old. There should be a lot number on the can. Contact West. If you bought the resin/hardener at a marine store, it may have sat for a long time - they're so overpriced.
Dark orange you say. I found some, in the back of my paint locker, so old, it was dark brown, had to be a 2-3 years old. Since it was about $25. worth, did not want to throw it away. I used it in covering my new battery boxes. It cured fine, with no short comings other than the finished frp coating took on a dark amber color instead of clear. Good company, they give help and advice when needed also. Capt. Vince Rakstis, Ret.
CF32907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 08:25   #32

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
You're really lucky you didn't catch something on fire. I guess the 1-1 was so reactionary it didn't even have time to blow up in your face before it had shot its wad. RTFM. Marine grade epoxy, whether it is West System or and other, is a 5-1 ration resin to hardener. Some non-marine grade hardware store type are 4-1.
System Three is a two to one and is a good product for skinning wood with glass. Since the ratio has large components being dead on the money isn't necessary not saying go hog wild however.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 09:08   #33

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
West Systems is my favorite, I never had old resin or hardener fail to cure. But if I knew it was old wouldn't use it except as a filler. I use to buy resin in drums.

Hardener turns a dark orange color when old.
That is my experience also, old hardener turns dark but always works.
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:35   #34

Boat: Caliber Yachts/Caliber 38

This probably applies more to the 1:1 products. I have been using West System for a few years, had it down, no problems.

This year, had a small project. Had the same problem, rubber like consistancy result.

After reading the instructions, made sure to PRIME the two pumps before dispensing. Worked great the next batch.
chriskilmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:59   #35
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

I found some West System cans and pumps in the storage locker of my rowing club. They had been there for > 5 years, up to 45C and down to -30C (it's a 53' shipping container and it gets really hot in the summer).
I cleaned up everything and then checked out the cure. No problem at all, it behaved quite normally. One of the hardeners was very dark brown, it still worked.
I reinforced the bottom of a wooden rowing shell with glass impregnated with this epoxy and then painted it. Everything is fine.

The pumps are great when you're doing a project and need to mix some more epoxy...you can easily measure it out without taking off your gloves.

The only downside is that the pumps can get air in them and then you have an unknown quantity - so when you're starting again after a long break, dispense it into a separate cup from the mixing cup. Same thing when you get near the bottom of the can.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:35   #36

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Most of the replies are spot on. I'll just add a couple extra cents. I love West System. It is very expensive but I don't do large jobs. I over bought and just sold my boat (today) and have a whole gallon of resin, a new can of small catalyst and several partials of 205, 206, etc with fillers of all sorts.

The fillers are worth it and the various fillers are appropriate for some jobs and not others. You can get a West System booklet that is great. But the real good thing is that you can call West Systems any time about any thing to do with their products and they will give you practical doable correct answers to dumb or smart questions. They are patient and don't care if you are only using a small amount or buy by the drum. Customer service and support like theirs is unusual. I have called them more than a few times and actually have enjoyed the calls. All the guys who answer are ones who have built lots of things with the products and not out of country reading from a script and don't know how to spell epoxy.

I have used System One and it is good. But I simply love the pump kits from West. I keep them on the cans and leave the in a cardboard box in case they drip when I an not careful. And, like I said, I have all the thickeners for the right job at hand. Since I have them I don't try to use the wrong one for what I am doing.

And you cannot let the stuff sit in the mixing cup. Stir the heck out of it and scrape the sides to get it all mixed thoroughly. And use the right hardener for the ambient temp. Too fast in the summer and you can't get it on the project fast enough. And whatever you do don't make a big tub of it up and let it sit because it can literally start a fire if it is kept or thrown away in a large amount (as in a small cup is too much). If I have too much left over I will pour it into my trash can or over some cardboard to spead it out.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 16:52   #37

Boat: Newick Creative trimaran, 42'

Agree WEST tech support is great. You can download manuals here, including repair & maintenance of fiberglass boats:
https://www.westsystem.com/instruction-manuals/

I would check out that WEST six10 premixed filler product mentioned earlier.

I would follow the manual for fastening into a balsa cored deck.
tomtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 18:54   #38

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by er9 View Post
i have very limited experience with West Systems epoxy so need a confirmation.

in desperation recently bought a qt of 105 resin and 206 hardener. mixed them 1 to 1 per instructions and mixed thoroughly for a minut or two before pouring.

used it to fill 3/4 wide x 1" deep holes on my deck. ambient temp was 75+ degrees in warm SoCal. none of the resin cured past a gooey to rubbery consistency. thinking maybe i did something wrong i repeated the test at work on a hot 80degree day. same results. after two weeks its still soft and rubbery.

is the 206 capable of curing solid under these circumstances/amount or should i have used the fast cure 205?

From my resin experience im guessing the 206 hardener i bought is bad. it should have cured since they claim it as a laminating epoxy. i'm really reluctant to waste another $50 on crappy hardener but i would really love to finish this job this weekend so i'll wait for some feedback. maybe the 206 was a bad choice?
Wrong resin/hardener ratio
It is resin to hardener ratio 5-1
Not 1-1
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 19:28   #39

Guys - and galls, CaptVR here. I've built 6 boats and 2 planes. Depending on local supplier at the time, and project working on, I found that West Systems and Systems Three work equally as well. Both are excellent. All depends on what you started with and are comfortable with.
I also found that depending on the city, I live in St.Petersburg, Fi. almost all larger cities have an independent Resin supplier. Here in St.Pete, we have a company that is called FGCI, Florida Coatings. They carry all types of there own epoxy, five different hardeners, fillers, vinyl and poly esters, all types of gelcoats, and every type of cloth manufactured and all core materials. They also know all there products and give excellent advice. I found all epoxy's on par with the other two big guys. I go there now exclusively just because it's a one stop shop. Capt. Vince Rakstis, Ret. St.Petersburg, Fl.
Old 01-11-2019, 19:33   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF32907 View Post
Guys - and galls, CaptVR here. I've built 6 boats and 2 planes. Depending on local supplier at the time, and project working on, I found that West Systems and Systems Three work equally as well. Both are excellent. All depends on what you started with and are comfortable with.
I also found that depending on the city, I live in St.Petersburg, Fi. almost all larger cities have an independent Resin supplier. Here in St.Pete, we have a company that is called FGCI, Florida Coatings. They carry all types of there own epoxy, five different hardeners, fillers, vinyl and poly esters, all types of gelcoats, and every type of cloth manufactured and all core materials. They also know all there products and give excellent advice. I found all epoxy's on par with the other two big guys. I go there now exclusively just because it's a one stop shop. Capt. Vince Rakstis, Ret. St.Petersburg, Fl.
Also found there prices are about 15% less than the two big guys...
Old 01-11-2019, 19:42   #41

Boat: Yankee 30'

I like West system. But early on I ditched the pumps, and started using syringes instead. Pumps can be messy, particularly in hot climate as the expanding empty volume pushes the liquids out. Graduated syringes are more accurate (though great accuracy is probably not needed), but the best thing is you can mix just what you need. Considering the price, that is a good thing.
sv.antea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 20:43   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
Wrong resin/hardener ratio
It is resin to hardener ratio 5-1
Not 1-1
Good morning sleepy head.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:36   #43

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

If you have a fast hardener in hot weather you can get a little more time out of it by keeping the resin and hardener in the fridge. The opposite is true for slow hardener in cooler temps. Put the containers in warm water first. Don't let water get to the stuff!

Tags
epoxy