Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2016, 21:00   #1
DRS

Boat: Lagoon 380
Quasi back stay on a cat

OK Folks time to tell me if I am crazy. I need to replace the mast head fitting on my Lagoon 380 cat. At some time in the future I am considering adding both a radar arch/solar panel stand and SSB radio.
My question is this. Can / should I extend the aft section of the mast head fitting by approximately a foot and run an insulated "backstay" antenna to a location on the top centre of the radar arch?
Will the tension required on the antenna affect the standing rigging in a positive or negative way? Its not my intention for this to be anything other than the SSB antenna
The thoughts of the group are always appreciated

Derick
Old 10-10-2016, 22:41   #2

Re: Quasi back stay on a cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRS View Post
Can / should I extend the aft section of the mast head fitting by approximately a foot and run an insulated "backstay" antenna to a location on the top centre of the radar arch?

Derick
Yes but you may need to trim the roach off your mainsail with a pair of scissors.

http://www.catamaranscup.com/media/k...08sideplan.gif

You do know that it is not uncommon on a catamaran to have the SSB antenna as a section of one side stay, yes? Just partition off a section with insulators.
Seaslug Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote