Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2022, 19:43   #1

Boat: Hans Christian 43T Telstar keel
Question about seacocks

I own a Hans Christian 43T. The boat has two separate drains on the side decks one port, and one starboard. They drain through a through-hull fitting with a gate valve. I am in the midst of performing a bunch of safety upgrades and would like to remove this gate valve.

My question: Do I need a proper ball valve to replace the gate valve? Or can I simply have the hose drain directly though the through-hull fitting? I still plan on replacing the actual through-hull but a 3” groco ball valve is $950+. Do I really need the valve? Not sure why I would ever turn it off. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	85B80267-34DF-4EC9-BB4C-1DB0AC230F2F.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	430.8 KB
ID:	254324  
CharmCityBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 19:53   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Question about seacocks

A seacock, whether a ball valve or my preference a cone style, is required. If the hose were compromised you would have the ocean fighting to change your boat into a fishes living quarters.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 20:03   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
A seacock, whether a ball valve or my preference a cone style, is required. If the hose were compromised you would have the ocean fighting to change your boat into a fishes living quarters.
Cone style? I did a quick Google search and do not see these for sale. I was only aware of the ball valve. Do you have a link?
Old 12-03-2022, 20:13   #4

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharmCityBoater View Post
Cone style? I did a quick Google search and do not see these for sale. I was only aware of the ball valve. Do you have a link?
https://www.spartanmarine.com/all-pr...artan-seacocks

Mine are original equipment and thirty eight years old. Still as good as the day they were installed.

If you want to stick with ball valves Defender has Groco’s for under 500 bucks for the 3”.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 20:20   #5

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Absolutely needed, you spend the money on quality once, or you could replace the gate valve with another and repeat every five years, but I am guessing that if you own the boat for a few years the changing out the valves will be around the cost of the bronze ball valves anyhow.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 20:25   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Absolutely needed, you spend the money on quality once, or you could replace the gate valve with another and repeat every five years, but I am guessing that if you own the boat for a few years the changing out the valves will be around the cost of the bronze ball valves anyhow.
Yeah…. Looks like I will just do it right with a Groco Seacock. Looks like the 2 seacocks will cost me $2500 to include through-hulls, hose and related. Small price to pay to make sure I do not sink I guess.
Old 12-03-2022, 20:26   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
https://www.spartanmarine.com/all-pr...artan-seacocks

Mine are original equipment and thirty eight years old. Still as good as the day they were installed.

If you want to stick with ball valves Defender has Groco’s for under 500 bucks for the 3”.
They do not make ones bigger than 2” now. I need a 3”. Thanks
Old 12-03-2022, 20:46   #8

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Yeah…. Looks like I will just do it right with a Groco Seacock. Looks like the 2 seacocks will cost me $2500 to include through-hulls, hose and related. Small price to pay to make sure I do not sink I guess.
Shop carefully and HAGGLE.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 23:47   #9

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
I own a Hans Christian 43T. The boat has two separate drains on the side decks one port, and one starboard. They drain through a through-hull fitting with a gate valve. I am in the midst of performing a bunch of safety upgrades and would like to remove this gate valve.

My question: Do I need a proper ball valve to replace the gate valve? Or can I simply have the hose drain directly though the through-hull fitting? I still plan on replacing the actual through-hull but a 3” groco ball valve is $950+. Do I really need the valve? Not sure why I would ever turn it off. Thoughts?
Having just removed 15 original bronze Groco seacocks, I can say that 45 years ago they made them tough.

But now... who knows.

My.insurance company recommended Truedesign from NZ. I figure they know better than most the risks involved in bronze these days.

Edit" Truedesign are plastic, not bronze.
Old 12-03-2022, 23:49   #10

Quote:

On a separate issue, my latest project boat had the same insane design of deck drains exiting below the waterline.

Madness.

I've rerouted them to skin fittings above the waterline.
Old 12-03-2022, 23:51   #11

Quote:

If the through-hull is below the waterline (I assume it is in this case?) it must have some kind of valve. Otherwise you've got no easy way of stopping a leak further up the system.