Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2015, 15:29   #1

Boat: Simonis 50
Question: Painting anti-slip over old

Once again I'm looking for sound advice on quality workmanship;

Our yacht is manufactured with epoxy which was spray painted after fairing. We then had anti slip sprayed on all the high traffic areas. I'm not sure which paint was used but normal car Duco paint rings a bell. It is now time to redo the anti slip areas again. We are looking to do a quality job and we thus cannot just spray paint over the old anti slip as it will most likely not bond well. But sanding the old anti slip is only touching the pinnacles of the old anti slip sand granule and not the actual surface area.

How do we properly prepare the old anti slip surface for the new and ensure a good bond?
svrevelations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 17:00   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Question: Painting anti-slip over old

Have you tried talking to the various paint manufacturer's tech help departments? Odds are they should have some answers on such.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 18:28   #3

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Unless you are sanding with a smooth coarse paper kind of 220 up i sugest try to down your grade to something close to 80 grit ,, this could be enough to get the old nonskid flat and ready for new coating, orbital sander and lots of patience , the top result come from a top prep, im doing right now a full awlgrip job in a 50 power catamarán, hull sides and deck, we choose fine nonskid beads from awlgrip with a Pearl grey color from awlgrip to for all the nonskid áreas,,,, good luck....
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 19:13   #4
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Stiff brush and solvent wash with 202. Play with a few brushes, usually a fairly fine copper brush is best. Wet with 202 and abrade with the brush. You want to be scratching it up a bit without actually removing any granules. Then be sure to wipe with Awlprep/T0008 or similar before painting. Consider priming and then painting via hotcoat if possible.

Alternatively, you can use a bristle disc. But I usually only use those for molded nonskid.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Roloc-Brist...bs_310357011_8

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:34   #5

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelations View Post
Once again I'm looking for sound advice on quality workmanship;

Our yacht is manufactured with epoxy which was spray painted after fairing. We then had anti slip sprayed on all the high traffic areas. I'm not sure which paint was used but normal car Duco paint rings a bell. It is now time to redo the anti slip areas again. We are looking to do a quality job and we thus cannot just spray paint over the old anti slip as it will most likely not bond well. But sanding the old anti slip is only touching the pinnacles of the old anti slip sand granule and not the actual surface area.

How do we properly prepare the old anti slip surface for the new and ensure a good bond?
Hi Wiets,

Our deck and non-skid areas are about due for a touch-up as well. [2 part LPU done 10 years ago...]

Perhaps a little sideways to your inquiry, I am strongly favoring using KiwiGrip on the non-skid areas for that project. [But I have no personal experience with it yet...]

From what I have researched, this will yield an excellent non-skid surface that can be touched-up without having to repaint the entire deck (as I would have to if I stayed with 2 part LPU paint.)

Re: your question about surface prep, KiwiGrip has decent online information about surface preparation and product application.

In case this is helpful.

Cheers!

Bill
Old 05-08-2015, 14:23   #6

Boat: Defever sun deck 43feet

IUsed Kiwigrip on my upper helm on my Defever. First rough sand diamond not all the way down ,then acetone. Make sure you pull the tape as soon as you Finish rolling. Do not let the tape with the Kiwigrip on it touch anything . If you do Kiwigrip will not come OFF. Kiwigrip like steel but really really good
Defeverboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 16:21   #7

Boat: Simonis 50

Thank you all! I have a much better understanding of what needs to be done.
svrevelations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:45   #8

Boat: Columbia 8.7

Boat non slip coatings
palm trees is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint