Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2022, 19:24   #1

Boat: Rawson 30
Questionable Practices

Hello Forumites,

I've encountered another "previous owner engineering special", in the form of a partially crushed brass fire extinguisher with soldered in copper pipe fittings installed under the brand new diesel as a "waterlock muffler".

I've been a welder and fabricator for a few decades and I'm fully aware of the danger involved in running hot sea water through a mix of copper and brass and will be re-routing the exhaust properly and through a real waterlock.

The question is: As I will have to separate the shaft and jack up the aft end of the engine to get that abomination out, what is the consensus on leaving it there until I have to replace the engine mounts which are oversize and new?
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2022, 19:57   #2

Re: Questionable Practices

This deserves some pics!
Maybe cut it up and remove in pieces?
kapnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2022, 21:02   #3

I’ve always thought that old fire extinguishers were copper and the small pump type carbon tetrachloride ones were brass so I did an images search. Are you sure it’s copper?
I agree it’s not a great idea to flatten a fire extinguisher to make an Aqualock but hey, it’s not going to melt like a Vetus when your water pump">raw water pump stops working.
First, plan your new exhaust before making a move on the old plumbing......buy the Aqualock, vent loop and exhaust hose and see if it fits the space available. If not, you might have to replicate the copper one in GRP in the same location......in this case it’s highly likely you’ll need to lift the engine.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2022, 05:32   #4

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I agree with kapnd that if you could sawzall it out, that would be great. Otherwise you might have to disconnect the coupling and undo the motor mounts then raise it up. What a hassle and if that had to happen, get some help doing it.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2022, 18:17   #5

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.

Ahoy and Aloha Tinker.
-Is the boat on the hard or in the water?
-Will the new mounts screw down low enough to achieve a good alignment?
I hear you on 'previous owner specials', I took on a refurb/refit of an owner-finished kit boat...
Old 25-10-2022, 18:20   #6

Boat: Rawson 30

A summary answer to the questions and comments; the boat is in a yard with the shaft aligned and coupled and the diesel is sitting on the new mounts. It's four hours away, so pictures will have to wait.

I'm not positive the extinguisher body is brass, it could be steel, but the pipes coming out of it to which the exhaust hoses are connected are definitely copper house plumbing.
It sounds like the consensus is to get it out of there and I agree.

I'll see if I can get it out in pieces, but I suspect I'll end up having to lift the engine. I think I can get a 4 x 4 across the cockpit coamings and hang a 1 ton chain fall from it to lift the engine. I'm not in a position to pay for help, but I think with the right equipment I can get it done on my own.

Thanks for the input; I'm always open to more ideas.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote