Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2014, 08:44   #1

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
R-12 to R-134 change

Help from wiser heads please. Water cooled Adler Barbour heat exchanger failed and salt watered the evaporator as well. Have new pre-charged R-12 unit would like to use with new R-134 compressor (air-cooled this time). Any problem evacuating the R-12 and replacing with 134? Thanks.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:50   #2

Re: R-12 to R-134 change

Don't think it will work, but ask Richard Kollman
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:37   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

The properties of 134A is similar but not exactly the same as R12. It will work, provided you also change out the oils too, as the oils are not compatible between the two. You will lose a bit in efficiency too, meaning the compressor will run a bit more to cool the box.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:48   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
The properties of 134A is similar but not exactly the same as R12. It will work, provided you also change out the oils too, as the oils are not compatible between the two. You will lose a bit in efficiency too, meaning the compressor will run a bit more to cool the box.
Seals as well maybe? Trying to remember as its been a long time since I did a conversion, but I want to think we had to change seals, and there was a color difference that made one obvious from the other?

Oh and to be legal and environmentally friendly, you have to recover the 12, heck of a fine if you don't and get caught.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:53   #5

Boat: Swan 432

I would just change everything as long as you are replacing the compressor. I have a CFC cert but do not work on the equipment enough to know about every configuration. Generally, small compressors already come pre-loaded with refrigerant. You may have to flush the existing piping, connect the new parts, evacuate the piping, then open the valves from the compressor to allow gas to circulate. Not sure what unit you are talking about that is pre-charged? I did not think that the evap would be pre-charged.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:01   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Seals as well maybe? Trying to remember as its been a long time since I did a conversion, but I want to think we had to change seals, and there was a color difference that made one obvious from the other?

Oh and to be legal and environmentally friendly, you have to recover the 12, heck of a fine if you don't and get caught.
Oh right you are. Seal where piping is jointed by threaded connections might need to be changed too. Odd that the new compressor would be pre-charged with R12. No one really uses that anymore due to ozone depletion of which R-12 is right at the top, least in the US and EU.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:13   #7

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

This would be a new pre-charged compressor unit with r134. Evaporator is new, never used, been on the shelf a few years. Old compressor froze up from salt water ingestion, not sure if salt water polluted up to the capillary tube on the old evaporator. Evaporator has Quick-connects, think I could purge it of r12, and add correct amount of r134 once the 2 components are connected.