Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2012, 09:45   #16

Re: Radar Arch - Aluminum vs SST?

They make beautiful arches and towers for powerboats out of Alum. , especially in FLorida. The one thing I will say about alum is it often turns powdery on the surface, and may even have sharp little corrosion points like a grain of sand. Messy, black on your hands and streaks the hull. With enough fresh water rinsing and washing you can avoid most of this, but for blue water cruising maybe not. $10k sounds ridiculous to me for SS. Have you looked at Kato Marine or Mystic Stainless? I know Kato's not cheap, but not sure they would be that much!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:30   #17

I have an aluminum arch on the back of my boat. It is a very common material for fishing boats and catamarans. Possibly related to the comment above about Florida.

Aluminum is cheaper and lighter for the same strength.

Aluminum is weaker for the same size, so aluminum structures are built out of bigger stock to get equal strength. This is really an aesthetic issue. A small boat might look funny if the strength requirements demand 2" AL pipe. Of course you're not likely to hang a 14' RIB from the stern of a 35' mono.

SST is shinier than AL. Aesthetics again, but also a price factor since for many SST is more desirable.

Durability of the finish I think is equal. SST wants to be polished, anodized AL wants to be waxed. AL has to be isolated from SST fasteners to prevent corrosion. AL can be painted or powerdercoated, but neither will last. The comments about AL being messy must be referring to raw AL.

For a Niagara 35 I think you want SST, but totally my opinion based on aesthetics. $10K is absurd.
JayH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:40   #18

Alum is usually built of much larger tubing/pipe. That's because although it has similar yeild strength as SS, It is much less rigid.... in fact about 1/3 as rigid as SS. Alot of the beautiful work they do in FL is 2-3" diameter! So , I guess, depending on how good the desgin is.... it might be just as heavy or heavier than a SS design!

Old 08-05-2012, 11:10   #19
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Alum is usually built of much larger tubing/pipe. That's because although it has similar yeild strength as SS, It is much less rigid.... in fact about 1/3 as rigid as SS. Alot of the beautiful work they do in FL is 2-3" diameter! So , I guess, depending on how good the desgin is.... it might be just as heavy or heavier than a SS design!
I think your mistaken Aluminum is more ridged, SS will flex some Aluminum much less-
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:14   #20

Modulus of elasticity for aluminum is about 1/3 that of steel or SS. I built alum boats for years and worked as an engineer in aerospace.... if both pipes are the same size the alum flexes a LOT more. If designed to avoid that it really doesnt matter though! A cage design like the Kato shown above will be rigid enough in alum I would think.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:19   #21
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Modulus of elasticity for aluminum is about 1/3 that of steel or SS. I built alum boats for years and worked as an engineer in aerospace.... if both pipes are the same size the alum flexes a LOT more. If designed to avoid that it really doesnt matter though! A cage design like the Kato shown above will be rigid enough in alum I would think.
My Mistake!!
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:23   #22

It's one of the challenges of going to alum on car frames.... weight = fuel. it could be done, but the costs increase due to the more elaborate frame. Audi came to us once discussing hydroforming of a frame for one of their high end cars.. we never did it, but I think eventually they made that car....

Old 08-05-2012, 11:59   #23

Boat: center console

Riversand:

Check out the website for Atlantic Towers www.atlantictowers.com
located in New Jersey. The have an item called "Tower in a Box" made of 1.9" aluminum pipe, anodized, that you can cut and fit for under $2K., you install it yourself. Cut off the legs to adjust for height, and bolt them horozontally for dinghy davits. They are now starting to market these as Radar Arches for sailboats.

Good Luck!

Larry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radar1.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	40830  
1affiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:18   #24

Boat: Hinterhoeller Niagara 35

I have 2 different guys coming out this weekend to give me a quote... I'll let you know what they say.

This is the picture I sent the guy that I wanted the arch to look like... seems fairly simple to me... being that I already have the stern rails.

riversandbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:59   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

"Simple!" The good stuff looks simple but the welding is clearly world class when it looks simple. SS quality in 316 is not easy or cheap and the similar can be said for aluminum. Lots of Mainship power boats use Aluminum rails all around. They look sharp and are nicer to grab with the bigger diameter. I would go for marine grade aluminum without hesitation. Nice 316 stainless looks purdy too!

You need to look at the work they do and the detailed specs on the metal. Crappy 303 stainless is very very strong but will rust in a few years in salt water but isn't too bad in fresh water. Poor stainless welds will also rust but they would be cheap. Good marine aluminum does not require a coating! So why would anyone coat it? Loads of ways to get taken with poor grades of metal.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:04   #26

I wouldnt call that one simple! is this a davit system also? How compicated does it really need to be?

Old 09-05-2012, 12:12   #27

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

I've posted this photo before. I think it is the best looking arch I have ever seen. I will build one just like it when the time comes. Three inch diameter schedule 40 tube.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1970.JPG
Views:	751
Size:	322.0 KB
ID:	40878  
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:27   #28

That looks nice and simple.... I dont see any diagonal supports though...? is it just bolted to the transom? I would NEVER paint aluminum for salt water use though....

Old 10-05-2012, 15:57   #29

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

Support photo. You could swing or hang on this arch. It does not move.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1964.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	394.7 KB
ID:	40917  
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, radar, radar arch