Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2023, 12:50   #1

Smile Radar fixed to canopy?

Hi all,

I’ve decided to buy a radar for my 50ft sailing yacht. I would like to avoid the complications of installing it up the mast, and my canopy is quite large and overhangs the aft of the boat so I cannot easily instal a radar arch or a pole for the radar. I am toying with the idea of installing it on top of the canopy. The radar is only 8kg and the canopy is quite sturdy with 30mm tubes and good support fore and aft so strength is not an issue, but would it look silly? Never saw one, but not really sure why. Anyone did this or saw one?

Thanks for some info and opinions!
Sailorboyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 13:40   #2

Boat: Hunter 340
Re: Radar fixed to canopy?

Not really sure how you would attach it to fabric top. Is it possible to attach a pole mount to one side of the bimi poles and put it on top of that?
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 13:42   #3

Why not mount the radar on the back stay?
LordoftheReach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 14:24   #4

Garmin guidance:

When mounting a radar, the minimum safe height is a primary consideration to keep the crew and passengers aboard the boat safe from the energy emissions. The radar's horizontal beamwidth should be above head height. The minimum recommended height is 8' feet above the deck where someone may stand and no higher than 30' feet above the water to avoid missing close targets.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 14:25   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statistical View Post
Not really sure how you would attach it to fabric top. Is it possible to attach a pole mount to one side of the bimi poles and put it on top of that?
Hi statistical, a picture says a thousand words they say. Unfortunately I can’t draw

Imagine a canopy made up of the usual stainless steel tubes, four in all. Approx 3.5m wide x 2m long, starting from behind the boom to the aft of the boat. Usual “V” tubes on the sides and strengthened with 4 “legs” one in each corner. Now fix 4 parallel aluminium profile/channels, approx 2m long x5cm wide x 1cm high on top and 90 degrees to the tubes. 3 Solar panels of about 1m x 0.60cm will fit on the front half of the canopy, stradl
ing the 4 aluminium profiles. Aft of the panels, two “hand rails” will cross between the two middle aluminium profiles, and a base will be stuck on top of these, which on top of which…….the radar!

It is so clear in my head! LOL!

What says you all??
Old 02-05-2023, 14:26   #6

Low mounted radar decreases your range extensively. All my boats had the antenna on the mast, and I have to say, they were trouble free to have there. But yes, it's more work to mount there I suppose.

If your radar is mounted 8 - 10ft off the water the horizon is about 3.5 - 3.9 miles. With freighters moving at 20-25 knots, you have little time to identify and adjust accordingly.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 14:29   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheReach View Post
Why not mount the radar on the back stay?
Hi lordofthereach, yes, saw those on the internet though never in real life. I think they look silly especially since I have a split backstay. Also, very expensive!

Thanks anyway for your contribution.
Old 02-05-2023, 14:33   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Garmin guidance:

When mounting a radar, the minimum safe height is a primary consideration to keep the crew and passengers aboard the boat safe from the energy emissions. The radar's horizontal beamwidth should be above head height. The minimum recommended height is 8' feet above the deck where someone may stand and no higher than 30' feet above the water to avoid missing close targets.
Hi Montanan, yes, I’m actually going for a Garmin radar and I have those same specs. Canopy is about 6’6” above deck and radar base will be about 1’6” on top of the canopy. So should be ok.
Old 02-05-2023, 14:39   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Low mounted radar decreases your range extensively. All my boats had the antenna on the mast, and I have to say, they were trouble free to have there. But yes, it's more work to mount there I suppose.

If your radar is mounted 8 - 10ft off the water the horizon is about 3.5 - 3.9 miles. With freighters moving at 20-25 knots, you have little time to identify and adjust accordingly.
Yes, cheechako, at about 3m / 10ft above water level, I will loose some range but still acceptable. Yes, mounting on mast is more work, but also much more hassle to pass wires from mid mast to aft cockpit. Also, don’t like the of tacking my 140 Genoa with the radar in front of the mast…..considered mounting the radar on the side of the mast, but also looks strange , I think.
Old 02-05-2023, 14:47   #10

"How far your radar will be able to spot things: the curvature of the earth. Because we can’t bend the horizon or the microwave beams we send out over it, the combination of the height of your radar antenna and the height of the target you’re looking for will always limit just how far your radar can see. Here’s the formula that expresses the relationship between the height of the target and height of the radar antenna:

(1.22 nautical miles x square root of height of radar) + (1.22 nautical miles x square root height of target)
Old 02-05-2023, 14:58   #11

On a sailboat, the scanner would normally be mounted either on the mast at a height of around 15 feet above the deck.

With the boat boat heeled, the range of the scanner - particularly on the leeward side - will be adversely affected.

However, a self-leveling mast mount will ensure that the unit's performance remains unaffected by the angle of heel.

Your backstay is a simple typical location for a sailboat.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...HDRSC4&first=1

https://www.svb24.com/en/scanstrut-g...nt-type-1.html

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Leveling radar.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	274911  

Tags
radar