Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2006, 17:53   #1

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Raritan Crown II Heads

Raritan Crown II heads... I've had the pleasure of one of these units not operating properly already. Mine are 13 yrs old now and I'm considering a major rebuild or replacement.

I found an exchange assembly where you buy a factory refurbished macerator unit w/motor (pretty much everything below the porcelain) for about half the new head retail cost. Since I have much corrosion on the motor housings and a cracked front pump plate anyway (WHY do they make this part out of plastic??!!), this major assembly swap sounds like a good approach.

On the other hand, looking at the parts breakdown, there's not a lot of replaceable parts in the thing. A rebuild kit is far cheaper than the exchange of course. If I just didn't have to stick my hand in there....

Anyone have experience with these? Have you rebuilt and/or done the core exchange? Or is there a better replacement head out there I should consider?

Thanks in advance...

Old 11-03-2006, 22:57   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Did mine last fall. I bought all new from the base assembly out. First I bought a kit. Then when I tore into it there was more stuff to buy so I returned the kit and went all new. So, for half the price it's like brand new again.

"I've learned that life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes."
—Andy Rooney

Crown head II Parts
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 07:28   #3
cruiser

Not a direct comment on the Raritan, but if you have an aging head, and will be near the States to any extent, why not consider just replacing the whole thing with a brand new, el-cheapo?

I just did that myself, and couldn't be happier. The rebuild kits for my existing heads were $70 a piece. For just under double that, I got completely new heads that actually work much MUCH better. Smoother action, better suction, etc...

If they break, the rebuild kit is $60, and not only that... I'll be able to easily find a rebuild kit since they're new.

Just a thought. It made the most logical sense for me. Plus... no messing around with disgusting pumps. Yank out the old, clamp in the new!
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 08:38   #4

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Sean - which el-cheapo units did you buy?
Old 12-03-2006, 09:15   #5
cruiser

I hate to admit it, but I just got this little unit:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...roductId=31915

So far, so good. Be warned... these heads are not through bolted - they have screws with varying thread heights which tap right into the plastic. This makes it a little less durable in the long run, but at only 2x the cost of a repair kit for a whole new head.... not a big deal in my book. Plus I always figure I can through-bolt it if I wanted to take the extra time/effort.

The action is good, the handle is fantastic, and the whole thing can be operated with one hand. Can't attest to its longevity (I assume it's not too many years), but it works very well right now.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 09:41   #6

Hey Sean.

That's not a bad unit. You maybe right about the screws though?

If it works. Use it!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raritan