Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2017, 12:16   #1

Boat: Jeaneau, International 50
Re-attaching toe rails

I was one of the lucky ones who still has a boat in St Thomas VI. During the storms my toe rails were lifted off the deck by smashing into the finger pier.
The hull only has minor scratches.

My question is what is involved in re-attaching the toe rails on a 1996 Jeanneau 50? Do I need to re-glue the deck to hull joint? Do these screws in the toe rail have nuts on the bottom or are they just screws?

Any advice or experience with this or a similar boat would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Capt Ed
SV Serenity
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170907_124100.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	330.8 KB
ID:	157811   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170907_124214.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	290.5 KB
ID:	157812  

SeeMonstrEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 12:21   #2

Re: Re-attaching toe rails

I assume you mean your rub rail? The toe rail is the silver aluminum piece atop the deck edge with the holes in it. I cant quite tell, but some of the rub rails are grey rubber and just go right back into the metal retainer.... ?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 12:50   #3

Boat: Jeaneau, International 50

No I am talking about the toe rail. You cannot see well from the picture but it was lifted off the deck and it popped the head off of many of the screws.
The rubber rub also needs to be replaced. The rub rail is actually held in place by the lower part of the toe rail.

Capt Ed
SV Serenity
SeeMonstrEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 13:31   #4

Wow, that's not good! Well... Can you access the nuts inside the boat? The problem is going to be how to properly caulk the rail between the deck and rail. I'm guessing you need to remove the rail bolts to the joint in the rail (whereever that is!) so you can bend it lightly up enough to reculk well.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 08:07   #5

Boat: 2000 Jeanneau, 45.2

I have a 2000 J 45.2 with the same toe rail set up. Go inside your bow sail locker and you can see all the details as to the construction. IMHO you need to completely remove the damaged toe rail and mid ship cleat (it is one continuous piece between the cleats, ends held down under the cleat). As one of the forum's member's signature block says, and I paraphrase "if you didn't have the time or money to do it right the first time, what makes you think you will the second time?".
Jeanneau 45.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 12:38   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Weird that there is that there is that damage to the hull to deck joint without any other visible damage. If it was me, would pull the cap rail, somehow force the lump out of the topsides, epoxy and glass the hull to deck joint reattach the cap rail. Without doing that would seem that you'd have a leak and a weak point that gets lot of impact stress.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote