Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2020, 08:34   #1

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'
Re-caulk chainplates

I need to re-seal my through deck chain plates. Slight leak on one, but will do all. I have had very good luck with Life Caulk, and would use it again with no problem. All the talk of Butyl tape has me thinking. How do you push the Butyl down the thickness of the deck, so you have a seal completely along the chain plate. Very sticky stuff. I am thinking of using Life Caulk most of the way up, leave a small recess, then Butyl when I re-bed the deck plate.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:43   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Re-caulk chainplates

Island Packet really researched the best material to seal chainplates with as they have “issues” with chainplates breaking when they get old and many believe its at least partially due to water intrusion at the deck penetration point.
The best thing they found for it is GE SCS 2000 sealant, which is a silicone based product, but isn’t anything like RTV silicone that we are all used to.
Products like 5200 etc fail due to not being flexible enough
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:57   #3

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Re-caulk chainplates

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepondancin View Post
I need to re-seal my through deck chain plates. Slight leak on one, but will do all. I have had very good luck with Life Caulk, and would use it again with no problem. All the talk of Butyl tape has me thinking. How do you push the Butyl down the thickness of the deck, so you have a seal completely along the chain plate. Very sticky stuff. I am thinking of using Life Caulk most of the way up, leave a small recess, then Butyl when I re-bed the deck plate.
Adding a consideration to A64's comment (above). If water has been penetrating the deck through a leaking chain plate then the chain plate should be inspected. This means removing the chain plate, cleaning it off and closely inspecting it. If ANY brown staining is visible then cracking somewhere is likely.

Since this has been reported as a known issue on Island Packets there is even more reason to look at them.

Chain plates can be removed one by one without un-stepping the mast. Any good welder can make new ones.

Here is a trick that a welder showed me: If you wonder about the integrity of a chainplate, hang it from a string and tap it with a small hammer. If it rings clear it should be good, if instead it clanks dully, it has a crack in it somewhere.