Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2016, 07:57   #1

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
Re-fairing lead keel with a ding in it

Confession: I am now one of the sailors who is obliged to admit running aground. That's because of the large divot I took out of my keel hitting a submerged rock that I knew I was near.

Result is that I have a roughly horizontal gouge about a third of the way down the leading edge of the keel. The metal was forced out to the sides by the impact.

As well, the fairing around the keel stub is cracked and broken.

On the positive side, there was no other damage; the boat stayed in the water for another six weeks and was not making any water around the keel bolts or into the bilge from any source..

So in the spring I need to grind down the high spots on the keel and fill the low spot, then re-fair the keel stub to the keel.

Any suggestions as to products and methods?

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 09:41   #2

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Re: Re-fairing lead keel with a ding in it

Before worrying about cosmetics, I would completely open up the crack on the keel/stub interface to determine, at least, the possible external damage to your boat. If everything is o.k., fair and paint. You can heat the surface of the lead in your gouge and remold any displaced lead with a ball peen hammer before fairing. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 25-11-2016, 09:45   #3
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post
Confession: I am now one of the sailors who is obliged to admit running aground. That's because of the large divot I took out of my keel hitting a submerged rock that I knew I was near.

Result is that I have a roughly horizontal gouge about a third of the way down the leading edge of the keel. The metal was forced out to the sides by the impact.

As well, the fairing around the keel stub is cracked and broken.

On the positive side, there was no other damage; the boat stayed in the water for another six weeks and was not making any water around the keel bolts or into the bilge from any source..

So in the spring I need to grind down the high spots on the keel and fill the low spot, then re-fair the keel stub to the keel.

Any suggestions as to products and methods?

Connemara
Can't suggest anything other than an epoxy type filler and fairing over top but I would suggest a very thorough inspection on both the inside bilge and outside hull at the leading edge and trailing edge of the keel. If your hull isn't built super strong you might have some cracks in there that are not necessarily very obvious but need fixing. Just because there are cracks does not mean that there would be water intrusion!
You might also check out if any damage was done to any tanks or their mountings.
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 10:31   #4

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland

Thanks ... a couple of good points.

It had not occurred to me that all of the lead is still there and what one mechanical impact can knock out of shape another impact (or series of small impacts) can knock back into shape. That looks fairly simple.

I have looked for cracks and found none, but it might be a different story when I scrape the remaining fairing compound off the keel and keel stub.

Had not occurred to me to check the tanks; I think I would have noticed if the fuel tank was ruptured in any way (it's gas) and ditto water tanks (black and otherwise) but I will take a gander in the spring to ensure there's not some small damage.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 10:41   #5

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Try to fill any voids before fairing. if water seaps in while in the water, and isn't able to drain before freezing in the fall, it will expand and undo all your work next winter.
If it's just an impact "dent" then I would agree with rognvald, heat and hammer.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel