Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2015, 00:36   #1

Re-fit in Maryland USA

Hi all,
I am looking at a boat for sale in Maryland that needs a re-fit completed. Mainly some rewiring, refitting some locker doors, new cushions interior paint and varnish. Will need new electronics fitted and new sails as well as a complete inspection and possible overhaul of standing rig including 2 x masts
( 46' yawl) Can anyone recommend a good yard and any idea of labour rates??
Being an Aussie Im not familiar with costs in this area and would really appreciate any local knowledge.
thanks
marksy
marksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 04:18   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Re-fit in Maryland USA

Where in Maryland is the boat currently?

-Chris
Old 19-02-2015, 05:23   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

The cost per hour for labor may vary somewhat, most yards in Annapolis are a bit under or over $100/hr for skilled labor.

This really does not tell you much about what it would cost to do the work, as the # of hours, and the parts needed, are the biggest factors. There are many competent workers in this area, and you can get about anything you need quickly, which effects the cost.

I am in the marine service biz, and our best customers are those that have had boats for awhile, and want quality work done, without shortcuts. They understand that while a hack (or an owner) may be able to do job x in 5 hours, to do it right, and have it look right after the fact with no loose ends, and no damage to the boat during the process, will take a good bit longer.

So like most everything else, shopping on price alone is not very helpful, reputation means more, IMHO. Pick the jobs you can do yourself, and hire the right folks to do the rest.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 05:36   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Marksy.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 08:25   #5

Boat: WHITBY 42

We did a 3 year refit on our boat. We moved it down to Deltaville, Va from Annpls., the labor rate was about half of the going rate in Annpls. and we found that the techs actually were willing to work with us. We used Deltaville Yacht center and have no regrets. A plus was that the residents were super friendly and we have some great new friends.
VOYAGER II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 08:42   #6

Boat: Lord Nelson 41

You can shop around for your work as there are many reputable yards in Maryland. This winter I had Awlgrip and hull work done in Annapolis (Diversified Marine). This coming summer I will have a variety of rigging, carpentry, and misc. work done in Oxford, MD on the eastern shore (Brewer). The quality is excellent.
Telemark43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 13:53   #7

Boat: Brewer 12.8, 42'

I had a new engine and new refrigeration installed as well as stainless work and other things done on our Brewer 12.8 at Haven Harbour in Rockhall on the eastern shore.The facility is first class, the employees are tops, and everyone is very nice.
It's not an inexpensive yard but they were very good on their estimates and we felt we certainly got great value for our money. Everything was done right the first time.
Jack Dexter
SV Tribute
jcdexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 15:21   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksy View Post
Hi all,
I am looking at a boat for sale in Maryland that needs a re-fit completed. Mainly some rewiring, refitting some locker doors, new cushions interior paint and varnish. Will need new electronics fitted and new sails as well as a complete inspection and possible overhaul of standing rig including 2 x masts
( 46' yawl) Can anyone recommend a good yard and any idea of labour rates??
Being an Aussie Im not familiar with costs in this area and would really appreciate any local knowledge.
thanks
marksy
I had work done at Herrington Harbour North and also at Annapolis. In Annapolis I stayed at Liberty Landing Marina. Plenty of good tradesmen around. The trades and ptoducts are good in th USA. I am from Oz.

Old 19-02-2015, 17:59   #9
mnh

Boat: Hinckley Custom 45 ft. yawl

Could not be happier than with Zimmerman Marine, Herrington Harbor North.
Ian Zimmerman runs that service, his father the ones in Deltaville. Ian is great to work with, Herrington north is a great place to hang out. I had all our previous work at Hinckley yard in SW Harbor Maine (15 years), and Ian beats them for personal service. The technicians work for many of the yards there (like everywhere) and are all very good...mnh
mnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 20:35   #10

Hi to all.
What a great response to my re-fit query!
Thanks very much for the info, its much appreciated.
I have a lot more home work to do yet but this is a great start.
happy days
marksy
marksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 07:19   #11

I've had work done at both Jabins in Annapolis and Herrington Harbor North. BOTH are top notch and you will not go wrong at either.
D.D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Maryland