Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2021, 10:25   #1

Boat: Cheoy Lee 53 PH Motorsailor
Re-paint 75’ mast in SE Florida?

Trying to find a reputable yard to unstep and paint my 75’ mast and boom. I had a place in FLL all set up and ready to do it until they made what I think were unreasonable demands for full coverage insurance on my boat.

Anyone have a good responsible place in SE Florida to get this done? I’d even consider somewhere offshore.

Thanks!
SVMaraya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 11:12   #2

Re: Re-paint 75’ mast in SE Florida?

Can't help you there...

Every "reputable" yard or marina I have ever used wanted to see a copy of my insurance coverage. Since I have "full" coverage I have never considered this unreasonable. From my perspective, this is a good thing. I really prefer the boats around me to have insurance. Knowing the yard or marina requires it is a plus for me.

It's the dicey yards who don't care about it. I have actually asked a few yards who I thought were a bit sketchy to show me THEIR insurance. If they were unwilling or unable, I left in a hurry.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 12:42   #3

Boat: Cheoy Lee 53 PH Motorsailor
Re: Re-paint 75’ mast in SE Florida?

Liability is always required, but here in Florida the premiums have tripled and quadrupled for full coverage and many boats have dropped it. Even with full coverage here they won’t insure you during hurricane season and the deductibles are astronomical! All I want to do is get my mast painted without adding $12k to the bill for a years worth of insurance. The very reputable yard I normally go to doesn’t have room to layout mast and tent it, otherwise they would be doing the job. Even they were flabbergasted by the other yards requirement for full coverage. They’ve never required that and their yard is full of mega yachts.
SVMaraya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, mast, paint