Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2018, 09:18   #1

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!
Reaching Spreader Tips

I have a Mast Mate canvass ladder that goes up the mast track, but I need to get to the ends of the spreaders to release the mid shrouds, which need to be replaced. There are spreader caps and the shrouds are likely held tightly to the spreaders with wire.
Would the best method be to throw a line around the top spreader, tie myself in to that and use my feet against the mast as I lean out to reach the spreader ends on either side?
I'll be working on the lower spreader, but I don't know how much I should be relying on the top spreader to carry my weight (part of the weight will be held against the mast if I make tight loop, but some will fall on the top spreader).
Or, do I just go with a different system to get up the mast and access the spreader tips?
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 09:23   #2
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Reaching Spreader Tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
I have a Mast Mate canvass ladder that goes up the mast track, but I need to get to the ends of the spreaders to release the mid shrouds, which need to be replaced. There are spreader caps and the shrouds are likely held tightly to the spreaders with wire.
Would the best method be to throw a line around the top spreader, tie myself in to that and use my feet against the mast as I lean out to reach the spreader ends on either side?
I'll be working on the lower spreader, but I don't know how much I should be relying on the top spreader to carry my weight (part of the weight will be held against the mast if I make tight loop, but some will fall on the top spreader).
Or, do I just go with a different system to get up the mast and access the spreader tips?

Harness. I have a Mastmate and love it, but it is not all things. I always climb with a halyard and harness on me.

Zero weight on the spreader, particularly near the tips. Some are not even secured.

[this is a dinky mast, but same idea]
Old 16-09-2018, 20:45   #3

Yep, I go up with a harness attached to one of the halyards and an icicle hitch, just in case I take a wrong step.
I think I may be able to keep a foot in the ladder, switching right foot to left side and leaning out a bit and vice-versa for the other side.
Old 16-09-2018, 23:04   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I do it in a bosun's chair, or climbing harness, from a halyard and a safety line (with someone below managing the lines of course,) (or a falls to hoist yourself, but keep the safety line and helper below,) and just swing out and push off/hang on with one leg while unlashing/lashing the tip, but that's just on my 35' mast with one set of spreaders.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 23:15   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Snort, is this the 12 ft. foot boat in your avatar, or something larger?

Normally, we access the spreader tips from the bosun's chair. We do not have a "Mast Mate", not wanting to take off the mainsail whenever we want to go aloft. However, there are a pair of mast steps there, so Jim can get at the top of the mast crane.

Ann
Old 16-09-2018, 23:33   #6

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

I use my mast mate with a bosuns chair. Wife pulls chair up while I climb. When I get where I’m going wife ties off chair and I sit back.... can swing out to tips if spreaders no problem.
Greg
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 06:51   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Snort, is this the 12 ft. foot boat in your avatar, or something larger?

Normally, we access the spreader tips from the bosun's chair. We do not have a "Mast Mate", not wanting to take off the mainsail whenever we want to go aloft. However, there are a pair of mast steps there, so Jim can get at the top of the mast crane.

Ann
It's my Searunner 31 trimaran. Mast is about 35 feet to the top. The first set of spreaders is much lower, so not quite as scary hiking out a bit.
Old 17-09-2018, 06:52   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSail View Post
I use my mast mate with a bosuns chair. Wife pulls chair up while I climb. When I get where I’m going wife ties off chair and I sit back.... can swing out to tips if spreaders no problem.
Greg
Ah, good idea!
Old 17-09-2018, 06:52   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I do it in a bosun's chair, or climbing harness, from a halyard and a safety line (with someone below managing the lines of course,) (or a falls to hoist yourself, but keep the safety line and helper below,) and just swing out and push off/hang on with one leg while unlashing/lashing the tip, but that's just on my 35' mast with one set of spreaders.
Thanks!