Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2020, 10:21   #16

Re: Reality of switching to making a living as a tradesman on sailboats?

A few years ago I wanted to live on a sailboat so I bought one and moved aboard. I previously worked in restaurants and also wanted to break into the marine trades as a way to kill two birds with one stone - make some cash and learn boats. I'm still wiggling my way in as I gain experience here and there while picking up odd jobs to keep me cruising. I made enough working on some island farms to take winter off in order to hide from bad weather and pick up a sail making apprenticeship. Life so far hasn't been easy but very rewarding. Have to be flexible and adaptable. Also, I'm new to the forum, hi yall.
Salishsloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 10:31   #17

Boat: center console

Be careful of what you wish for. Some years older (and wiser) when the aches and pains of physical labor compounded by age have settled in, you may wish you had spent more time working on the 401K and health insurance plans!
1affiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 11:27   #18

Boat: Montgomery 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by fschaefer4 View Post
Considering the times, I'm lucky enough to have a pretty decent job. However, said job is in an office behind a desk and it's killing me. So I'm considering a career change. The wolf isn't at my door and I have the luxury of time and some money stashed away. And, with COVID, Im not doing this anytime soon.

I'm sick of sitting in a building behind a desk. I want to get back to working on actual interested physical things.

So my question is, how realistic is it that someone can get into a trades job that involves working on boats? FWIW, I was a residential/commercial general contractor for 10 years. I did all the demo and carpentry and managed all the other tradesmen around me. In my current gig, I'm a Head of Facilities and have overseen some decent size construction projects, risk management, event production and all other duties as assigned. I've always done maintenance on motorcycles and in the distant past was an "engineer" on a commercial fishing boat in AK.

I'm not great at diagnosing electrical or diesel issues. I'm the DIY guy that can narrow things down and replace and hope. In other words, I couldn't sell myself as a tech. Just being realistic. But I'm sure I could get there.

Vast majority of stuff that isn't super techie? Absolutely.

I don't have to make much money initially. I could have a nice long runway to get ramped up. I'm a quick-ish learner, a hard worker and pretty decent at marketing myself. I can definitely show up on time, be honest about what I can and can't do and communicate professionally.

So what are the chances that a guy like me can make the career change? And what would that path look like?

As always, thanks in advance for your insights.
Interesting thread! Carpentry skills are always in demand, especially at the 'finish' level. 'Cabinet' making skills especially.
They say that if you can cook or weld, you'll never go hungry and that's true enough in my experience. Mac & cheese are it for me as a cook, but I've welded (in construction) all my life, and can always find something.
That said, whatever skill you pursue while cruising should be something you can accomplish with tools you can carry onboard.
I don't carry a welding machine (boats way too small) which limits me quite a bit. I bring my hood, a pair of gloves, 20 pounds (more or less) of assorted stick rod and my 'Golden Arm'. Ha ha a little welding humor there...
But that's it. I'd be behind the hood pouring rod all the time in boatyards and such if I had my own machine, lead, etc. But I don't, so I don't work much. I expect my 'clients' to rent the machine and lead, power tools (I do have a grinder of course) and pretty much everything else.
The fact that I don't work much works for me, as I'm retired and getting by on my pension and Soc. Security. If you have to work, then choose your trade carefully.
The carpenters that we know, as well as small engine guys, electricians and plumbers and of course diesel mechanics seem to have lots of work. And they can carry their tools around with them!
Of course if you have a degree - in pretty much anything - you can teach english pretty much anywhere in the world. At least that was the case before Covid. Good luck to you!
rmlarson1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 12:09   #19

Guys, this is great! Thanks for the encouragement.

I figure I can do the handyman approach if I just burn out of work and make the jump. I think refrigeration and welding would be my next considerations. But hell, I love it all. Nothing makes me happier than wrenching on motorcycles or building out camper vans with friends. Of course doing these things casually is VERY different from making a living at it.

I love the idea of teaching English and do have a degree. But I think that's more if I like a place and want to hang out for a while.

Thanks again for the encouragement guys!
fschaefer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 12:24   #20

One post mentioned specializing - better to become the boat window guy than to specialize.

Reminded me that I recently bumped into a boat window guy in Southern California. He's in his mid 60s and is trying to figure out how to retire. He has a rock solid business, with plenty of room to expand - he has zero internet presence, won't even do email. Yet he is well known and stays very busy. When I met him he was swapping windows on a Lancer motorsailor in Oceanside near Sam Diego.

Maybe look at a small business to purchase? With proper due diligence, pretty well guarantees success.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 12:34   #21

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
Do what you love and you’ll never work a day in your life.
Mmmmmm. . . . .

I know at least two people and have heard of a lot more, who made this switch. One I know well was a very keen (and very good) angler, both salt and freshwater. Started his own fishing charter business, used his well-appointed sport-fisher and a lot of high-end gear/tackle. Then he had to deal with wealthy clients who knew it all and believed they were responsible for all the things that went well and he was responsible for all those that didn’t.

He now rarely fishes for fun, has lost a pass-time about which he used to be passionate and replaced it with a business that is marginally successful at best. Not a great trade IMHO.

This not uncommon.

Just as uncommon are folks who “enjoy” working on boats.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 12:52   #22

@mvweebles-

I've looked into buying a business before and agree with you. Only catch here is I'd like to take some time and be mobile. 1 year? 2 years? Who knows. But that's an excellent idea for when I decide to settle down.
fschaefer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 12:59   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post
Mmmmmm. . . . .

I know at least two people and have heard of a lot more, who made this switch. One I know well was a very keen (and very good) angler, both salt and freshwater. Started his own fishing charter business, used his well-appointed sport-fisher and a lot of high-end gear/tackle. Then he had to deal with wealthy clients who knew it all and believed they were responsible for all the things that went well and he was responsible for all those that didn’t.

He now rarely fishes for fun, has lost a pass-time about which he used to be passionate and replaced it with a business that is marginally successful at best. Not a great trade IMHO.

This not uncommon.

Just as uncommon are folks who “enjoy” working on boats.
Well he can sit on his ass at the dreaded office for the next 30 years and wonder ... what if ?

Some are talkers, some are doers and some are too afraid to try.
Old 04-12-2020, 13:08   #24

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Well he can sit on his ass at the dreaded office for the next 30 years and wonder ... what if ?

Some are talkers, some are doers, some are too afraid to try, some try and hate the result even more.
There, I fixed it for you
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 13:15   #25
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Boat caretaking. People leave their boats and need someone trustworthy to do very basic stuff. Air the boat out, start the engine, water the batteries, check the bilge pumps. In a third world place where people leave the boat unattended they will pay first world rates for someone that will check on and service their boat. Some of non emergency type stuff that you uncover can supply you with side jobs where you either perform the work or closely supervise.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 14:04   #26

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

The year we sailed from Mexico to Oz, we met a diesel mechanic who was cruising with his wife. He was supplementing the cruising kitty by working for cruisers who were not knowledgeable enough to do their own work. His rule was that he would chat with someone about their problem for free, but if he came over to their boat to work on it for them, he charged them Stateside rates. This is not legal anywhere one would need a working visa.

I can easily imagine how such a trade could turn into consultancy or teaching, if the OP is so inclined. The boatwright we know best has a few interesting additional traits: he has an incredibly accurate eye for measuring; he is practical and intelligent; and he jogs everywhere, works fast, and does beautiful work. He has been shooing away customers for years, only takes on (now that he is over 60) jobs he knows he can do. He was actually trained as a diesel mechanic many years ago. But he built this boat, with his wife, in 18 months, lofting to launching. He IS exceptional, but so may the OP turn out to be. How is he to find out if he doesn't go for it?

Ann
Old 04-12-2020, 14:21   #27

Boat: Hunter 37 Cheribini

OK, I gotta tell you about the BEST boat mechanic I've ever run across, Rory Loveridge of Ft. Pierce, FL, works in the marina next to Shearwater Boat Yard (Formerly Whiticar Marine North).
He always was a boat person & tried many ways of making a good living working in and near the sea. After many tries at commercial fishing, he wen to local collage and got a degree in Maritime Engineering.

He now is the best all around boat mechanic and Handyman there is. His bread & butter is looking after/caretaking the big to very big power yachts in the marina, goes to each one every week and airs out, runs engines & gens, inspects everything above & below decks, pumps bilges and or inspects bilges, etc.

Except for the Collage degree that's what I'd do to earn a living on the water. He has more work than he can handle and turns away biz to others in that marina.

He only has basic salesmanship skills, but lets his work speak for itself.

Capt Wayne
Apollo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 14:40   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by fschaefer4 View Post
@mvweebles-

I've looked into buying a business before and agree with you. Only catch here is I'd like to take some time and be mobile. 1 year? 2 years? Who knows. But that's an excellent idea for when I decide to settle down.
This window business is interesting. Much of it is mail order. Which is why there's likely room to grow via an internet presence.

Personally, I'd buy it an move manufacturing 2 hours south to Ensenada MX. Not only is labor cheap, but they are loyal. Which means in a couple years you could take off sailing and just check in.

The guy that runs CruiseRO (watermaker) seems to have established a similar model. He's legendary for good customer service and a decent product.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 15:02   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post
There, I fixed it for you
Guess we know what side of the line you lean to
Old 04-12-2020, 15:08   #30

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

There is a severe rigger, (mast climber), shortage in Florida.

Only a few guys do it, and they are booked out several months.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat, trade