Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 21:19   #1

Really how long how hard is it to build a boat

Hi I hear about people taking years to build boats.

Then I read that sharpie sailboats are the easiest boats to build. I have searched all over the internet and can't find the answer to this question- how much time and effort should I budget to build my own big sharpie sailboat?

Like this 46' Reuel Parker design: https://parker-marine.com/product/sharpie-46-new-haven/

I'm trying to size up the cost:

Assuming I worked at it alone 8 hours a day, how long would it take a reasonably skilled person to build it?

I'd love especially love to hear reports from people who actually built their own large sharpie sailboats.

Thanks!
babyhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 21:59   #2

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)
Re: Really how long how hard is it to build a boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyhauler View Post
Hi I hear about people taking years to build boats.

Then I read that sharpie sailboats are the easiest boats to build. I have searched all over the internet and can't find the answer to this question- how much time and effort should I budget to build my own big sharpie sailboat?

Like this 46' Reuel Parker design: https://parker-marine.com/product/sharpie-46-new-haven/

I'm trying to size up the cost:

Assuming I worked at it alone 8 hours a day, how long would it take a reasonably skilled person to build it?

I'd love especially love to hear reports from people who actually built their own large sharpie sailboats.

Thanks!
The hull form and material wont save much time as it's the easy part. For me it took 200h to build strip planked 35' hull. After that I've used at least 10 times more for other stuff on the boat.
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 22:25   #3

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

See link - times to build 40ft catamaran and others https://schionningdesign.com/design-comparison-chart/
Tin Tin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 22:37   #4

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

How long is a piece of string?

It depends a lot on the standard you want to build to. A few of my mates built some real shockers but they went sailing!

Their yachts would never have passed a survey, were uninsurable, would never be allowed into a marina (and therefore spent their down time at anchor)

As I said they went sailing (even a circumnavigation) but life must have been pretty grim. After 15(?) years the yachts were scrapped because they were unsalable.

Those sort of yachts could probably be built in 2 years full-time
coopec43 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat