Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2023, 13:03   #1
Junior Cruiser

Recommendation for painter in Athens, Greece?

I have a 46 foot boat with heavily chalking dark blue gelcoat which I would like to have painted.

The boat is close to Athens, Greece.

This is probably a long-shot, but can anybody recommend a painter in Greece, ideally close to Athens?

The painting-workmanship that I have seen carried out around the shipyards during my time there has been truly atrocious! This makes me very reluctant to even embark on the project.
seafowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 13:47   #2

Re: Recommendation for painter in Athens, Greece?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafowl View Post
I have a 46 foot boat with heavily chalking dark blue gelcoat which I would like to have painted.

The boat is close to Athens, Greece.

This is probably a long-shot, but can anybody recommend a painter in Greece, ideally close to Athens?

The painting-workmanship that I have seen carried out around the shipyards during my time there has been truly atrocious! This makes me very reluctant to even embark on the project.
I would get a polisher and some Aquabuff 1000 and 2000 and try that first. Painting is big bucks and if you hit a dock you need a new paint job.

I have had 3 boats all white, and 2 of them polished up so well people thought they had been painted.

I would definitely stay away from vinyl wrap. For a good job you need to prep it as if you were going to paint it, which is to say it has to be completely fair. If not you will see every bubble and every nick in the hull. Once you have it fair you might is well paint it because you have already done all the work.
Sailorman97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 15:45   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Recommendation for painter in Athens, Greece?

If you are not adverse to doing it yourself....try a two part polyurethane paint.....maybe a lighter color. Dark colors really show up scratches, etc.

I've painted a hull three times with the above. There is a certain technique involved, but it's easy to learn. The finished project will come out like the hull was sprayed.

As above, some sanding prep work is involved.

Typically, having a boat repainted is going to cost serious money, as yards typically spray it on. Here in the US, prices vary, but I'd expect around $200/ft, $9,200 for you, maybe more. Not sure what the prices in Greece are, but likely similar.
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
Greece, men, paint