Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2022, 04:58   #1

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Oydssey 40.3
Recommendation Solar Arch in Greece, Lefkada

Hi guys,

I have 170W of solar panels. My current arch is mounted on top of the pushpit. I would like a more sturdy version to fit 2 or 3, 400W solar panels.

I have asked for quotations from 2 known inox workers around the Lefkada area: Chris Bowd and Dimitrs & Philip Thomas (from Nidri). The prices are starting from 5800 EUR (with VAT, no davits) and reach 9300 EUR (with VAT, with davits).

I just want something like Ryan and Sophie had installed on their boat for 4000 EUR. And theirs included davits https://ryanandsophie.com/details-ab...ss-steel-arch/

I didn't expect prices in Greece to be so much more expensive than Spain.

For 10.000 EUR I would rather buy a second boat filled with panels and pull it around.
Elcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 04:21   #2

Boat: Puma 435
Re: Recommendation Solar Arch in Greece, Lefkada

Maybe these stern archs made in Barcelona seem interesting to you at a much better price.
With or without davits, installation with basic tools, adaptable to any boat and with tilting frame for panels. Shipped packed ready for assembly.
https://www.autocazantes.com/en-gb/portiques-3/
Nefta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 04:25   #3

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Since you are in Greece, sail to Turkey and try there. There are very competent SS welders in Turkey and cheaper to!
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 04:31   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Stainless steel work seems to be expensive on leftkada , but it’s very competent and they know the arrangements that work.

There are some cheaper options on the mainland , I think around Paleros etc. In my experience yacht stainless is expensive everywhere and getting more so rapidly.

Sailing to Turkey might be a plan but unless you can tie down a price it’s a long way on a whim from. the Ionian.

Corfu might be an option or over to Italy. But again without definite pricing it’s a gamble.

The trouble is you can always find some cheap back yard welder , but (a) can he handle polished stainless and (b) does he design it and accept responsibility

You’re not making a cow stall !!!

I’m in lefkas
Old 08-02-2022, 04:34   #5
Nearly an old salt

Note the other way that a few of us have done is to get a stainless tube cutter from Amazon and buy lengths and use fittings

I’m thinking of buying a stainless pipe bender too ( maybe get a few like minded boaties to chip together )

It’s never going to look as well but hey beggars can’t be choosers.

Did you get a price from the stainless guy at the roundabout in leftkada town beside the outboards repair guy. ( I hear he’s pricey too )
Old 09-02-2022, 01:58   #6

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Oydssey 40.3

I have negotiated with Chris Bowd and found some middle ground. Chris explained some differences between the install that Ryan & Sophie got and what he does.

Quote:
I would like to lay out our reasons for the price difference, between Stuart and Bowd Fabrication.
1. Clients took off the pushpit etc, and delivered it to Stuart’s workshop.
2. The 2 main struts of the gantry, that go from side to side, were made from 5 pieces on each, welded together. Whereas ours would be 1 whole piece.
This is because Stuart had limited equipment, using only an angle grinder, and a tig welder to complete the job.
In order to produce each strut in 1 piece, you need a fully fitted workshop; a bender, lathe, milling machine etc. Which in turn makes our outlay and
overheads considerably higher.
3. Stuart’s work took place in April 2019; pre- Covid, which translates to him being able to buy his materials much cheaper.
4. The stainless steel used had the thinnest wall thickness you can buy (you could see it was very light to lift).
We would use at the least double.
5. The davits were of a very minimalist design. The dinghy wasn’t shown on it.
In my opinion, the davits weren’t fit for purpose. The dinghy would have hit the boat, plus you wouldn’t be able to walk underneath it.
6. Stuart’s construction using the welded corners tend to fracture over the years. We have seen this, and repaired the damage several times.
Also, we can guarantee looking at his design, that it would have had major wobble from left to right. Through our experience, we have solved this problem.
Our gantries do not have this fault because of a simple and elegant solution we have evolved.
Now I need to find an electrician to help me with the new solar panels & MPPT installation. If any of you know a good one in the Lefkas area please let me know.
Elcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 02:44   #7
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcid View Post
I have negotiated with Chris Bowd and found some middle ground. Chris explained some differences between the install that Ryan & Sophie got and what he does.

Now I need to find an electrician to help me with the new solar panels & MPPT installation. If any of you know a good one in the Lefkas area please let me know.
Talk to Sailand in lefkas marina. or the new guys behind Dieters Raymarine shop ( I think Pharos marine ??)

I would agree there’s a big difference in approaches around stainless. But I have seen good work done with simple tools. Generally welded joints don’t fail prematurely as long as they are not overstressed.
Old 09-02-2022, 06:22   #8

Boat: Taswell 43

FWIW-Based on our experience....go to Marmaris, Turkey and have it made there. They made ours, complete with adjustable dinghy davit, mounts for our 4 solar panels, an antennae farm on each side, a flag staff, mount for our MOB pole, etc,etc,etc. And...they installed it, and helped me run all the wires internally and into the hull. Overall, an absolutely top notch job, and now, some 11 years later-no issues whatsoever-no cracks, no breaks, no bends, no problems.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 11:37   #9

Boat: Hunter 40.5 and C+C36

I had a custom arch made in New Jersey about 10 years ago for about $6K so your quotes don't sound out of line. The recommendation was to not use SS for the arch will be very heavy. Mine was AL and sturdy. A few features I requested that I recommend: Provision for 4 solar panels. Extend far enough aft to attach blocks to raise the dinghy clearing the transom. I had telescoping 1.5" AL poles. Provide provision to store the dinghy high for ocean passages and low to see over for inland motoring. Have attachment points to prevent the dinghy from swaying in a sea. Add a removable crane to hoist the dinghy motor and swing it onto the stern rail. Add brackets for a pole for a wind generator. (I think more solar panels is a wiser investment than a wind generator.) Add a track on the leading edge to attach a cloth panel from the arch to the bimini. This and the panels provide more shade and rain protection. Wire it for a second VHF antenna [and solar panels].
j.g.evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 13:48   #10
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcrazy View Post
FWIW-Based on our experience....go to Marmaris, Turkey and have it made there. They made ours, complete with adjustable dinghy davit, mounts for our 4 solar panels, an antennae farm on each side, a flag staff, mount for our MOB pole, etc,etc,etc. And...they installed it, and helped me run all the wires internally and into the hull. Overall, an absolutely top notch job, and now, some 11 years later-no issues whatsoever-no cracks, no breaks, no bends, no problems.
In reality that's a very long hike to get a arch made, at a cost saving of xxxx, ie unknown and then back again , ( the Corinth is closed for at least three years ) . I think youd spend way more on that trip then the difference ( im also suspicious of its way cheaper in XXXX place, greece is not a high cost country )
Old 09-02-2022, 16:20   #11

Boat: Taswell 43

Guess it all depends on what your sailing plans are, and where you've been/want to go. We found Turkey absolutely spectacular, the cruising was fabulous, and the ruins/sights were better than any we saw in Greece. But....if your plans are to go west, or north...then maybe you're right. On the other hand, our arch....designed, built, custom fit, installed, and wired...was just over $2500 total. Just our observation...whatever blows your skirt up!
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 16:22   #12
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcrazy View Post
Guess it all depends on what your sailing plans are, and where you've been/want to go. We found Turkey absolutely spectacular, the cruising was fabulous, and the ruins/sights were better than any we saw in Greece. But....if your plans are to go west, or north...then maybe you're right. On the other hand, our arch....designed, built, custom fit, installed, and wired...was just over $2500 total. Just our observation...whatever blows your skirt up!
south and east is quite a long way and a long way back its rather a stretch to say its the way to go to get an arch

Ive sailed extensively in Turkey , beautiful country , as spectacular as Greece, in certain areas you have to be more careful

when did you get the arch done
Old 09-02-2022, 16:45   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcid View Post
Hi guys,

I have 170W of solar panels. My current arch is mounted on top of the pushpit. I would like a more sturdy version to fit 2 or 3, 400W solar panels.

I have asked for quotations from 2 known inox workers around the Lefkada area: Chris Bowd and Dimitrs & Philip Thomas (from Nidri). The prices are starting from 5800 EUR (with VAT, no davits) and reach 9300 EUR (with VAT, with davits).

I just want something like Ryan and Sophie had installed on their boat for 4000 EUR. And theirs included davits https://ryanandsophie.com/details-ab...ss-steel-arch/

I didn't expect prices in Greece to be so much more expensive than Spain.

For 10.000 EUR I would rather buy a second boat filled with panels and pull it around.
if i be on your place i try sail to Albania
https://artinox.al/taglio-laser/

or 1000 other inox Italian company in Albania

https://www.google.com/search?newwin...fi=hd:;si:;mv:[[41.34745898417815,19.59517770733928],[41.269835261941566,19.4039493222559],null,[41.30865867516132,19.49956351479759],12]

in reality 4000€ is to expensive
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 17:00   #14
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by more View Post
if i be on your place i try sail to Albania
https://artinox.al/taglio-laser/

or 1000 other inox Italian company in Albania

https://www.google.com/search?newwin...fi=hd:;si:;mv:[[41.34745898417815,19.59517770733928],[41.269835261941566,19.4039493222559],null,[41.30865867516132,19.49956351479759],12]

in reality 4000€ is to expensive
for a double arch with dinghy davits, I dont think so
Old 09-02-2022, 17:52   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
for a double arch with dinghy davits, I dont think so
for you. for me this is a couple pipe. machine curve pipe in max 10 minutes, 1-2 hour welding 1/2 hour polish . Most demand and challenging is design of arch.
People welder is not designers,hire somebody for design .
more is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, Greece, men, solar